Pointing Domain Name To My Sify Ip

• Thread starter Thread starter anjanesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 7,985

anjanesh

ISP
Sify
I understand that Sify is providing a static IP - is it possible to point my domain name to this IP to be used as a website ?What windows DNS do I need running on my PC ?Thanks

If you have a static IP, then you might be able to use controle panel provided by domain registrar to change "A" record for that domain. This way way, you can make it point to your Sify IP.Yuu need not setup DNS servers for that. But yes setting up your own DNS server will serve your purpose as well.

Thanks for your reply.I see 2 disadvantages now - #1. My domain registrar, website.in charges another $5 for pointing domains to IP addressess (Managed DNS) - I can only point child DNS (ns1.mydomain.com) to an IP thereby creating a DNS and then point my domain to the DNS. #2. Sify has an upload limit of 64kbps which is the download limit at the other end.

Static IP has nothing to do with Public/private IP.Staic IP can be public as well as private, in this case Sify does not provide a public IP to their customers nor they allow external pings.

QUOTE(anjanesh @ Jun 6 2006, 02:08 PM) [snapback]53395[/snapback]
I understand that Sify is providing a static IP - ...
[/b]

Sify provides a static private IP. Your public IP however is not static. You get a new IP address from their pool every time you login.

You can use a dynamic dns service like www.no-ip.com to synchronize your current ip address with any domain/subdomain name you get upon signing up with them. There's other providers as well (dyndns.org for example).

Also, I think Sify does not forward port 80. So you'll have to set up your website on a different port. Again, no-ip (and possibly other dynamic DNS providers as well) provide a port redirect mechanism as well.

Siddhesh

That wont work if hes NATed. OP, what IP do you get? 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x or 172.x.x.x? Then forget it 😉

Yea max man , its like that only. I have setup a Sify connection at a friend's place . He had an IP like 10.12.xx.xx and he had to specify a gateway address like 10.12.yy.yySo as far as I can see , there is no public IP address. Infact I dont understand given the way SIFY login occurs, where is there a chance for it to assign an individual public IP address to your machine. What say people?? Is it possible that without using some kind of ppp protocol thingie, to assign individual public IP address??

sify gives a live ip but its not static and yes webserver hosting is possible on sify . they are NOT completely nating the connection . You will have to go with some dynamic dns service , i think you can point ur domain to no-ip's servers and they can offer dynamic ip updating for you at some fees . Better idea would be to buy some cheap hosting

power, no chance. if its a private IP then its just not possible lest they forward the router's port 80 to HIS internal IP which is HIGHLY unlikely.

QUOTE(aniketvb @ Jun 7 2006, 11:59 PM) [snapback]53574[/snapback]
Yea max man , its like that only. I have setup a Sify connection at a friend's place . He had an IP like 10.12.xx.xx and he had to specify a gateway address like 10.12.yy.yy

So as far as I can see , there is no public IP address. Infact I dont understand given the way SIFY login occurs, where is there a chance for it to assign an individual public IP address to your machine. What say people?? Is it possible that without using some kind of ppp protocol thingie, to assign individual public IP address??
[/b]

Yup, its possible. In a dialup system, you have a CHAP handshake authentication, by which a user is authenticated. Once that is done, the user is assigned a public IP from it's available pool. Any traffic to that IP is then forwarded to you.

The same thing happens with Sify. You are authenticated with their SAM server. Upon successful authentication you are assigned a public IP and all traffic to that IP is forwarded to you using NAT.

Sify however does not forward traffic destined to some ports on your machine. One of them was port 80 (the last time I checked atleast). The reason for that is that the net service is for home use; home users cannot host a website from their homes. That is deemed as commercial use. Heck, using the internet more than 6 hours a day is commercial use according to their Terms and Conditions 😛

Well thats ok...but when you use PAP/CHAP etc , the IP address assigned to your machine can be seen using commands like ipconfig / ifconfig . Hence we can say that the IP address is unique and assigned to your computer only . In SIFY , the dynamic IP address belongs to the Gateway and _not_ _ your_ _computer_ . So anyone else on the same LAN using same Gateway also gets the same Global IP address. So its not a unique public IP address. Its just like your plain old Internet Connection Sharing kinda thing.The SAM server thing is just a Database Thing AFAIK, used to monitor accounts and store account info.

yakity yakity yak...and the outcome? No Sify connections cannot be used to host webservers!Max rocks!!! 😀

QUOTE(aniketvb @ Jun 8 2006, 06:35 PM) [snapback]53608[/snapback]
your computer only . In SIFY , the dynamic IP address belongs to the Gateway and _not_ _ your_ _computer_ . So anyone else on the same LAN using same Gateway also gets the same Global IP address. So its not a unique public IP address. Its just like your plain old Internet Connection Sharing kinda thing.

The SAM server thing is just a Database Thing AFAIK, used to monitor accounts and store account info.
[/b]
No, it's not the gateway IP address, and computers on the network don't get the same IP address. They provide a unique public IP address to you at every login, just like with dial-up.

And the SAM system (not just the auth server) is not just a database that does some elementary account management. It does a whole lot of other things as well, like IP address assignment, bandwidth allocation on login, etc.

yakity yakity yak...and the outcome? No Sify connections cannot be used to host webservers![/b]
Wrong, you can most definitely use your public IP for your webserver. Check out this site:

http://siddhesh.no-ip.info

I host this site on one of my systems at home. There are free services like No-IP, DynDns, etc. that detect your public IP and you can assign a subdomain name (siddhesh.no-ip.info in my case) to redirect to your computer. They also provide programs that run periodically to update the public IP address on their servers so that the connection doesn't fail.

But do note that they no longer forward traffic on port 80. You'll have to host the site on another port. I host mine on 9880.

Siddhesh