Pointing Domain Name To My Sify Ip

• Thread starter Thread starter anjanesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 7,988
Excuse me, the last time I checked the port to host your website was 80 and not 9880 😛 So you not only need a dynamic DNS service but also a port redirect which sucks! 🙂

QUOTE(max @ Jun 10 2006, 08:19 PM) [snapback]53722[/snapback]
Excuse me, the last time I checked the port to host your website was 80 and not 9880 😛 So you not only need a dynamic DNS service but also a port redirect which sucks! 🙂
[/b]

Yes, you _generally_ host your site on port 80. It's not a rule though. For a hobbyist, any open port should be OK to host his personal site. If you want visibility then submit your URL to google and they're gladly index and rank you (provided you stay online consistently). For someone hosting a production website, get a static IP. Sify will gladly give you one for a price.

Dynamic DNS services also provide a port redirect. Check out No-IP's services for example. I'm using that. It doesn't cost a penny.

Blocking of port 80 is still a bit silly though. I think it's yet another silly, half-baked "security measure" by Sify.

Siddhesh

Siddesh, its not a half baked security measure. It's a perfectly well thought strategy to keep people from hosting commercial websites on thier connections. If I had a faster connection then I would've probably started shared hosting for lowend websites. I already have a 24x7 server running. Only my ISP should co-operate in terms of uptime and affordable pricing on their speeds. And no. It's not for commercial purposes. It's simply a hobby. Well, atleast my ISP doesnt block ports 😀

QUOTE(max @ Jun 11 2006, 11:07 AM) [snapback]53750[/snapback]
Siddesh, its not a half baked security measure. It's a perfectly well thought strategy to keep people from hosting commercial websites on thier connections. If I had a faster connection then I would've probably started shared hosting for lowend websites. I already have a 24x7 server running. Only my ISP should co-operate in terms of uptime and affordable pricing on their speeds. And no. It's not for commercial purposes. It's simply a hobby. Well, atleast my ISP doesnt block ports 😀
[/b]
I don't think there's anything wrong/evil in their strategy of blocking port 80 access. And if you're a hobbyist I don't think you should care what port your site runs on. Sify is co-operating with competitive prices on their speeds, large variety of packages and so-so uptime (sucks in the rains).

And good for you that you're ISP doesn't block port 80. Not so good for all the zombie machines on your ISP's network that have IIS pre-installed and are serving as spambots relaying "free pr0n and v14gr4" emails 😛. I had done "tests" of that kind on some machines on my network sometime in the past sending myself "you're st000p1d!!!!!!!!!!11oneone" emails 😛.

*Sigh* those were good days 😛

Siddhesh

Hi guys it is possible and i've dont it alot of times. i had some webserver which i used to run on LAN and also on internet through www.no-ip.com and there u need to run a program which updates the dynamic ip address automatically. u need to be online all the time for that. and u can see that ip(your dynamic) address on the website also.
and also u need to redirect your port 80.

tested and works fine. infact was working fine till last april may. now i've stopped that server.

siddesh, hobbists are the one which really care about such things. professionals dont care and dont want to play around. Blocking ports is inherently evil because of the fact that it serves no good purpose. If a machine can be zombied without blocked ports then it will certainly get zombied with blocked ports one way or the other 😉

sify provides inependent ip to everyone and port 80 is open . If you dont beleive me and still go on stupid argue ( from last 3-4 thread' isnt it aniket 😛 ). Pm me and i will let u know by hosting up web server and u can access it . Sify is very strange in this regard the router they has ( for whole local area ) just forwards traffic to their servers and server gives independent ip per session per user. If you still wanna argue then pm me 🙂

QUOTE(max @ Jun 11 2006, 07:53 PM) [snapback]53788[/snapback]
siddesh, hobbists are the one which really care about such things...
[/b]
Why? I don't see any reason for you to get perturbed over the default port not being open. Give me one reason why it should matter for someone who hosts a website just to hone his skills and not for production. It may matter in production because port details in the URL complicate it. For example siddhesh.com is easier to remember compared to siddhesh.com:9880

power, are you sure? I tried just now but cannot get through. Even checked the port through http://www.canyouseeme.org. It gives the message "Connection refused".

Siddhesh

I think it depends on area u live , in some areas port is open and for others its closed . See this ( and others also so u should know that sify gives independent ip 😛 ) .

i had once hosted a forum on sify 128K connection using the software from www.no-ip.com and people from delhi cud connect my webbysite
although a lil slowly 😕
and ya i hosted Easy file sharing web server on port 80 only.....