WorldSpace to pull out of India

• Thread starter Thread starter sakthiman
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 88
  • Views Views 57,111
Status
Not open for further replies.
the problem with radio stations is that you do not get to pick your choice of songs. you can only pick the type of songs you want to listen. grooveshark lets me make my own playlist and i can listen to it.

Posting news, if not already posted!
Indiantelevision.com > News Headlines > WorldSpace to pull out of India
WorldSpace, in the process of being bailed out, will not include India in its rescue operators.Faced with financial woes, WorldSpace has decided to cease the broadcast of its satellite radio service in India from 31 December.
\"The potential buyer of much of WorldSpace's global assets has decided not to buy the assets relating to and supporting the subscription business in India,\" the company said.Worldspace, which had filed for bankruptcy protection in the US in October last year, has more than 90 per cent customers located in India. Its broadcast footprint covers over 130 countries including India and China, all of Africa and the Middle East and most of Western Europe.
As the Indian subscriber's contract is with WorldSpace Inc, the US company, it wont be able to offer a refund for any unused portion that a subscriber may have paid for services to be rendered beyond the termination date.
However, as per the potential remedy under the US bankruptcy law, subscribers may file a claim under the claims procedure that is intended to protect creditors of the bankrupt company.
Sometime early next year, a claim servicing company will send notice to all creditors listed by the company.

90% in India? never knew it, and its strange that yet, they are not taking care of Indian subscribers.

If it is 90% then why aren't they including India in its rescue operations?

it is 90% probably because USA is mostly about Sirius XM satellite radio. worldspace is pretty much finished in the american market. not sure about europe. as for india... i guess revenues are pretty low because the charges are pretty low. i think americans pay around 10 USD a month that comes to around 500 bucks per month. In india, we were i believe paying around 250 rupees a month.

@SVK,You are quite right. Inspite of India comprising of 90% of WS subscribers, the so called "buyer" of WS has overlook the vast Indian market. What a foolish guy he is..! 😡@admin,Well here in India we don't even pay Rs.250 per month. According the last subscription amt I paid, it was around Rs.183 per month. And by the way, I am hearing a lot about Grooveshark from you. Could you put some more enlightment about it..?? May be you can send me a PM or put it up here for all of us..!And by the way...I tried calling up the CC to ask them if I would get back some money for my de-activated Radio set...!! But...none of the Customer Care nos are working. [Not the BSNL/MTNL one, neither the STD one 🙁] But I have sent them an email anyways..! The email hasn't bounced as of now...! Lets hope that I get a reply..!And some more shocking facts about WS website which still seems to work fine🙁1) The WS website is accepting new user registrations, :hysterical🙁2) The WS website is still letting existing subscribers renew their subscriptions & also letting new/existing customers buy/gift WS to others, [The website successfully redirects to the ICICI Bank Payment Gateway], :iomg🙁3) The Airtel DTH website still enlists the WS chs in their package descriptions. 😛Oh God....Whats happening...?? :O I was expecting some big media giants to take over the company. May be we should try this again and hope that Reliance takes it over...! WS..Please don't go away...!! :icry:

what is there to say about Grooveshark here! it is just an online music service that works great. you can play random songs or search for artists or songs and play them. make your own playlists. there are tons of services out there. few of them work here in india. it does. and i use it pretty regularly.

Guys...The campaign group to save Worldspace on Facebook is going too strong and comments from WS users have already made their way to other online articles. By the way...Just for the curiosity, rumour has it that Yash Raj is going to buy Worldspace. Please note that this is just a rumour and there is no confirmation for it yet..! Lets hope for the best...!

World Space already pulled out their service from today itself 😱!I was expecting that them to atleast serve for today but from morning there's no signal to catch 🙁.Hope some sensible organization takeover World Space soon.

According to the latest buzz, 4-5 Indian companies were keen to take up WS, including the Yash Raj but they weren't allowed to. Even the media is silent about this. God knows whats cooking behind..! And secondly, its expected that Liberty will relaunch WS with a new brand in the second quarter of 2010. But be warned that these are just rumors and nothing has been finalized yet..!

And secondly, its expected that Liberty will relaunch WS with a new brand in the second quarter of 2010.

Have you got a link where it shows liberty media did buy out worldspace ?

No, News reports dont count !

I see no mention of worldspace on liberty media's website.

According to the latest buzz, 4-5 Indian companies were keen to take up WS, including the Yash Raj but they weren't allowed to. Even the media is silent about this. God knows whats cooking behind..! And secondly, its expected that Liberty will relaunch WS with a new brand in the second quarter of 2010. But be warned that these are just rumors and nothing has been finalized yet..!

I haven't heard anything about this?

@blr_p,Liberty Media did buy out WS minus WS India. Believing it or not is totally your outlook and I have no interest in influencing that..!!@ Crazysah,You will possibly not hear about it since you are possibly not a part of the "Save WS" campaign..! Anyways, as I said these are just rumors and nothing has been confirmed.

Liberty Media did buy out WS minus WS India. Believing it or not is totally your outlook and I have no interest in influencing that..!!
OK, so i guess some news report which could also be a rumour is good enough for you then 🙂

@^, And I guess some thought process in your mind which prompts you to oppose the fact is good enough for you...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.