• Thread starter Thread starter Nishant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 22,868

Nishant

Staff member
ISP
Jetway FTTH, BSNL FTTH
Again Samsung??! If I am not wrong, last time truck full of Samsung device was stolen (and later found)

I think IMEI numbers can be changed easily.

For a few units? Probably possible. 40000 units? Plus... You would need to open up all these phones.
Might not be worth it in the end. Easier is to sell them and make a quick buck.

I mean, if robbers don't change it than those who bought it (dealers/retailers/end-user), can change it! 😀

Dealers these days are very careful esp. when it comes to mobile devices. They make sure what they buy is not fake and from proper source.

So robbers will sell to "trusted" dealers.

In most cases dealers will change IMEI because if end-user makes a complaint to police then police will immediately catch dealer and then whole gang will be caught.

This is why these units would be sold through eBay or similar outlets. Plus, you cannot possibly find 40,000 customers for these phones when you openly admit that these are stolen units and you have to deal with faking IMEI number yourself. No one would be crazy enough to save a few bucks and deal with cops at a later stage.

Would they be able to block IMEI numbers internationally though? They'll probably end up being sold in far off countries like China etc.

What if Samsung gets them blocked from accessing Samsung and Google authentication servers? They would be fairly limited without these two networks? I mean they could would possibly work as a phone... And maybe install Amazon AppStore for the apps.