3g &HSDPA

varun77spot

ISP
BSNL
Is 3G and HSDPA r different .If yes what r the service provider providing HSDPA and there tariff.

Difference Between 3G and HSDPA

3G vs HSDPA
3G is the common name for the third generation of mobile phone technologies. But instead of being a single standard, 3G is composed of multiple technologies that provide the same level of service. HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access) is a later addition to the 3G technologies to provide better and faster data speeds to subscribers.
3G is an improvement of the older 2G standard and introduces multiple advanced features. The most significant is video calling, which allows the two parties to see each other during the call. Another improvement is the much faster internet connection speeds that are being offered by 3G. But as more people are using the service and the demand for better and faster connection rose, HSDPA was added to 3G. HSDPA does not offer any new features like 3G did, it simply offered a faster connection that the 3G features can take advantage of.
HSDPA also provides better latency compared to the older technologies of 3G. Latency is the time between the request was sent and the time for the reply to get back. This might not be noticeable for most people who use their mobile phones to browse web sites, but it is quite important for people who use real-time services like VoIP. A higher latency results to lag in the voice signal or dropped packets which can deteriorate the call quality.

Implementing HSDPA is quite a big step for mobile companies who are still using the older 2G standard. As with all 3G technologies, HSDPA is not compatible with 2G and requires a new network altogether. But for companies who already have 3G networks deployed, implementing HSDPA is relatively cheap and simple that there is really no argument against deploying it. Aside from the network side, mobile phones must have HSDPA capabilities in order to take advantage of the added speed. Just because a mobile phone advertises that it is capable of 3G does not mean that is capable of performing at HSDPA speeds.
Summary:
1. 3G is a group of technologies for mobile communications while HSDPA is an extension of the 3G technologies to provide faster speeds
2. 3G introduced new features like video calling and online TV
3. HSDPA provides better latency compared to the older 3G technology
4. HSDPA is relatively easy and cheap upgrade to existing 3G networks
5. There are mobile phones that have 3G support but not HSDPA

A very important and informative thread.Thanks

Like my Nokia N91 which has 3G but no HSDPA for which my maximum speed is 384kbps so I get a download speed of 48-50kbps but not more than that. BSNL is HSDPA enabled & it does support upto 7.5Mbps...Hope all the upcoming 3G service provider will be HSDPA enabled...

Like my Nokia N91 which has 3G but no HSDPA for which my maximum speed is 384kbps so I get a download speed of 48-50kbps but not more than that. BSNL is HSDPA enabled & it does support upto 7.5Mbps...Hope all the upcoming 3G service provider will be HSDPA enabled...

r u sure that BSNL in HSDPA enabled .
Be sure because my decision will be relying on your information .If possible then please tell me the source of information .

r u sure that BSNL in HSDPA enabled .
Be sure because my decision will be relying on your information .If possible then please tell me the source of information .
Yes BSNL is HSDPA enable thats the main reason why BSNL sale two type of 3G USB Dongle....I am from Kolkata & as far as HSDPA is concerned I'm sure it's HSDPA enable as with my new HTC DESRE HD I get 3.5G servce....

in mumbai many locations are 3G

with reliance 3g i get HSDPA + network, speed upto 16mbps as per the device. but max i get is 8-9mbps