The True Value Of Hutch Prepaid

vebk

Mr. Advocate
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 8, 2005
New Delhi
Thinking of switching over to Hutch prepaid from MTNL Dolphin (great plans but really sucky network signal in my house).

anyway, as I have always been bitter about, these companies usually have some sort of "access fee" or "processing fee" attached to recharge coupons which increase validity also. I have always wondered why it takes almost half the cost of the recharge to "process" the card.

anyway, more to the point, I made a table on what a Hutch prepaid actually costs you in terms of money out of your pocket every month. Here's the table:

http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hutchprepaidtwototalk8yw.jpg

As you can see the basic recharge of Rs. 400 offers slightly (almost negligibly) better call rates than the Rs. 350 recharge + two-to-talk, but since two-to-talk gets you 1500 free SMSes, the latter offers a much much better deal.

Even though the second plan + two-to-talk offers a much better deal, I don't need that many minutes, so will probably go for the Rs. 350 recharge + two-to-talk = Rs. 410 each month.

Makes Sense? What do other people recommend?

prathapml

Mjölnir
Regulars
Aug 27, 2004
Bangalore
All I will say is, Hutch Bangalore is amazing!I'm on pre-paid, and normally recharge for 550 rupees. Here's what I get:Validity: 45 daysTalktime: 399addl. talktime: +125 for non-F&F local numbersFree local SMS: 100 per day (3000 sms a month)And sometimes when I have to re-charge for 350, what I get is:Validity: 30 daysTalktime: 193addl. talktime: +125 for non-F&F local numbersFree local SMS: 100 per day (3000 sms a month)I dont know about STD rates, as all my calls are made locally. Calls to all GSM are at 0.99 rupees a minute. Landlines is at 2 rupees. Calls to 3 selected local F&F (friends & family) numbers is at 30 paise per minute.And if you dont have cash at end of month, just do a Chota recharge for 40 rupees, and extend validity by 10 days (costing 30 rupees). Which implies that with just 100 rupees you can run mobile for a month & have 3000 local SMSes.

vebk

Mr. Advocate
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 8, 2005
New Delhi
Ahh I overlooked the whole fexi recharge (etopup) thing because I thought that etopup doesn't give you more validity.... anyway, assuming that you can use two-to-talk with etopup (and please tell me whether you can do this or not), here's a new table:

http://img96.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hutchprepaidtwototalk3gc.jpg

So the third plan (Rs. 331 etopup recharge + two-to-talk) makes the most sense to me, both in terms of minutes as well as the true call rate. So can I use two-to-talk with a Rs. 331 etopup recharge every month?

Oh and does anyone know whether one can get a custom number on Hutch prepaid? If you can how much does it cost, and how does one go about it?

Edit: Had made an arithmetic error. Have changed the link to the correct table.

prathapml

Mjölnir
Regulars
Aug 27, 2004
Bangalore
Custom number?Or do you mean private number (undisclosed)?In bangalore, we just go to the nearest Hutch Shop, ask for a new pre-paid, the assistant then brings out about 30 envelopes, with different phone numbers written on it. We then choose the number that seems most easy to remember, and walk out 2 minutes later with a new mobile number of our choice.

vebk

Mr. Advocate
[OP]
Regulars
Jan 8, 2005
New Delhi
I mean as in if you want a particular number to match your birthdate or something more memorable... say if you wanted 9811007007.

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
i think they do let u choose the last 3-4 digits of the newly purchased number if you so desire.

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
wow...mumbai subscribers dont have any choices do we? And the call rates here are much higher 1.99 to any phone ( std.330 recharge ) and no free SMSes. 1.5 bucks per SMS local! :eek:

smartbuddy_82

Regulars
Regulars
Dec 4, 2005
Mumbai people are rich, no free sms's, high call rates, less talktime and also 1.50/local sms... :angry:Commerical capital of India, so mumbaikar's are milked to the last drop by all mobile companies.... :(

viralbug

tR0ll bUg
Regulars
Jan 6, 2006
yes we mumbaikars have to face higher rates. just look at the bangalore rates, they are so awesome! :(