• Views Views 3,129

Lokesh

Regulars
ISP
Trib 649_Combo
upgraded ram from a previous 256MB(DDR333) to
previous 256MB(DDR333)+ 256MB(DDR333) more=== 512MB total

but... 🙁

no significant gain in performance! 🙁 only a little improvement in applications(about 5-10%) checked the virtual mem. page in performance options. there memory usage is set for best performance of programs

the pagefile(PF usage) remains the same as in previous config. that is about 250-300MB (when we do ctrl+alt+del ) i had thought increasing ram would reduce the PF size.

wat more needs to be done to increase the performance of system!

current PC config:
intel pentium 4 2.40 ghz
512MB ram
samsung(5400rpm) 40gb + seagate(7200rpm) 80gb
ati radeon 9600 SE
major processes mostly(always) running in background:
zonealarm pro + nod32 antivirus + diskkeeper + and a few SVChosts'

heh. i upgraded my 512 megs ram to 1 gig 2 months back. no performance gain either except for heavy applications which i rarely use.my processor is the pathetic p4 1.8. i guess my problem is more related to slow hard disk. though they are all seagate barracudas. copying from one hard disk to another is painfully slow and takes too much system resources.

Lokesh, if ur windows installation and programs are on the slower samsung HDD i'd recommend u use the seagate instead.@Sushubh, check if DMA is enabled for ur HDD's. Device Manager>>IDE ATA controllers. Double click on primary/secondary IDE channel>>advanced. The transfer mode should be Ultra DMA Mode 5/2 and not PIO.

hehe. increasing your ram will have no effect on your page file size. infact your page/swap file should increase with the increase in your ram size.increasing ram never shows you significant performance gain unless your machine was hungry for ram. to see a performance gain you need to add a ram with higher FSB but then your proccy should have enough FSB of its own to match with the ram or else your I/O & proccy will go out of sync which will give you worse performance 😛

It is assumed the system is running on windows . can you add
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1[/b]
in [386Enh] section of the system.ini file & restart .
now check the performance and report back .

some basics
check your bios. make sure it had hdds and cdroms in auto mode
make sure that you dont give away more then 32 mb in case u share video ram.
warning: if you make video ram to zero mb yr machine will not boot(you will need a graphic card to start it back).
if you have a graphic card separately with 128 mb or so then you can disable ram in bios to share with video. sharing video ram reduces performance.

make sure if you mboard can support 400 mhz. it makes much sense to buy a 400mhz memory sticks.

rest all other pals have replied!

QUOTE(Sushubh @ May 25 2006, 10:55 PM) [snapback]52316[/snapback]
heh. i upgraded my 512 megs ram to 1 gig 2 months back. no performance gain either except for heavy applications which i rarely use.

my processor is the pathetic p4 1.8. i guess my problem is more related to slow hard disk. though they are all seagate barracudas. copying from one hard disk to another is painfully slow and takes too much system resources.
[/b]

in your case you enable dma as mentioned and i guess you are copying huge files and high number of files and folders. during this process try to avoid all other programs. your copying process will suddenly become faster from say 64 minutes to 7 minutes left.

try closing all running applications and then start copying!! thats my advise to the king ! 🙂

QUOTE(sifyfan @ May 26 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]52343[/snapback]
make sure if you mboard can support 400 mhz. it makes much sense to buy a 400mhz memory sticks.[/b]
Not necessarily. If his CPU has 533MHz FSB then the ideal RAM would be a 333MHz FSB. So even though his board supports 800MHz FSB processors and 400MHz DDR RAM he should use the 333MHz FSB RAM.

QUOTE(sifyfan @ May 26 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]52343[/snapback]
some basics
check your bios. make sure it had hdds and cdroms in auto mode
make sure that you dont give away more then 32 mb in case u share video ram.
warning: if you make video ram to zero mb yr machine will not boot(you will need a graphic card to start it back).
if you have a graphic card separately with 128 mb or so then you can disable ram in bios to share with video. sharing video ram reduces performance.

[/b]

ya have radeon 128mb.
where to look in BIOS?
video setting showed agp aperture=64MB! is that it? shud i reduce this value?

ran gta:SA and the draw distance was full. gameplay a little smoother (becoz of RAM i think) but for other app.s no significant gain! 🙁 🙁 🙁

First of all, AGP Aperture memory will not be used until your video card's on-board memory is running low.
The bigger your video memory, the smaller your Aperture Size could be. However with later games requiring more and more texture memory a good number seems to be 128MB Aperture Size for all cards with 64 MB to 256 MB Video RAM.

QUOTE(max @ May 26 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]52385[/snapback]
Not necessarily. If his CPU has 533MHz FSB then the ideal RAM would be a 333MHz FSB. So even though his board supports 800MHz FSB processors and 400MHz DDR RAM he should use the 333MHz FSB RAM.
[/b]

fsb speeds have no connection with memory speeds in new generation cpu and mb.
earlier it used to be eg. 100mhz cpu will work at 100 mhz ram, even if you have 133 mhz ram sticks.

now if motherboard supports 400ddr(200 mhz) it will work at ddr400 and let fsb of cpu be 533 or 800 mhz or 1600mhz or 1800mhz or 2000 mhz.

ddr400=200Mhz=PC3200

It seems rather difficult to select complimentary parts to a Desktop. I am planning a new rig ... Processor: Intel Pentium D 820MoBo: Intel D945GPM or Asus P5LD2-VMMemory: 512 MB x 2, dual channel, DDR2 533, 240-pin DIMM. HDD: Barrcuda SATA 300, 160+ GB, internal. Would this be properly matched or can better selection be made?

I am not a guy who will recommend Pentium.....or any Intel based systemmy latest desktop is AMD athlon 2600 xp with 512mb of ram Asus motherboard and Ge-force FX 5200 128mb ...80gb segate barracuda(4 other small HDD)I am planning of a new set up...something like AMD athlon 64 ..4200+ with at least 1 gb ram ....good compatible motherboard....and Ge-force 7200 GTX80gb sata