how to check whether my wifi is password protected and secured?

• Thread starter Thread starter dupree
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 7,439

dupree

Regular
ISP
Reliance broadband thunder 699 plan
hey guys i just setup my wifi connection on windows 7 and want to check whether my wifi is secured and password protected coz in the pic it shows Network availability - all users, so im a bit confused with this.

http://img130.imageshack.us/i/wifi.jpg/

if it requires you to enter a password before you can connect, its secured.

i entered the password only once, i mean it asked me to enter the password only once and now whenever i select start my wifi it automatically connects

well yeah. it probably had the save password option enabled by default. you can of course check your router backend and change the password to make sure it is not the default one for your device.

----------

you can also see all the saved networks by going here in windows 7:

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Manage Wireless Networks

thanks for the path it shows this
http://img4.imageshack.us/i/24178948.jpg/

what does type in the pic means?

it shows the same at my end. not sure what type means. but encryption level is pretty decent. so there is little to worry about. u can of course make it more secure.

To make it even more secure, one should disable 'Broadcast SSID' in the router so that your network and the SSID is invisible to prying eyes.😉

that's weird. If SSID is not being broadcast, how does Vista/7 detect a network automatically?:huh:EDIT: I guess, unknown network or something(?) will show up instead of network name. Ok. atleast SSID is not known.

The SSID is not being shown which makes life complicated for hackers atleast.:huh:btw, Juno? Great Movie! 🙂If you like quirky movies like that, I highly recommend '500 Days of Summer'. Best Romantic(? sort of) movie of the year IMO.

so is it better to hide ssid or instead of hiding make a strong password which is impossible to crack?but i see many wifi cracking apps on torrent sites.

well i guess the best solution is to stop being cynical. use stronger encryption. use stronger password. change password regularly. monitor unusual usage. i see at least 5 networks at my place here. 3 of them are from my own home. it's really a pain for me to ensure the security of all of these connections. 🙁