• Thread starter Thread starter Ryan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 5,653

Ryan

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
Well, I was downloading something and I can't believe I was getting these speeds nonstop. I was really getting it high. Unfortunately, it was during the renewal process so the system didn't think I was logged in therefore I couldn't view websites, so I had to login. Once I did, the speeds were back to normal. So it appears that Azureus was able to do a NAT traversal. Wish I could get these speeds for the price I'm paying. Anyhow, here are the speeds.h**p://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=7422100

"once upon a time, in" [where i stay], hotwire overhauled their systems, moving from a client based login (the infamous 'H' icon in the system tray, to a browser based login). that week or fortnight, they disabled their throttling/packetshaping mechanisms.

in the typical indinglish way of saying it, "you wouldn't believe, but" speeds would regularly reach 500-600kb/s. i.e. the hotwire connection became ~ 5mbit. now *that* was really something.

sigh ;-)

hmmm... filesize ~ 700mb ;-) as a certain politician used to say a few years ago, "no no, naaat good." i can only assume you're snagging a flick...

which makes me wonder, what "legal" uses would we put (real) high speed internet (say, 1mbit and more) to, if we were to have it?

Yeah these speed spikes are common with all indian cable ISP's. I used to get them on hotwire when the connection managed to work ie when the weather was fine. Later on My CTO shifted to sify and i got the same bursts of speed when sify's throttling software crashed.@ testsubject i also remember that fortnight, it wasnt at ur place only..almost 70-80% of users got that privilege of unltd downloads @ 3-4 Mbps coz of the co. changing hands i.e the Indian partners of Hotwire had sold their stake and primus had taken over the whole company..they were annoyed with the way the way the co was being run especially abt the crappy throttling software that was being used..n also the corruption in the company..many ppl in my area were paying for 64 Kbps data ltd packages and enjoyin 128 kbps unltd..just coz they had befriended the local hotwire chap..fact remains these cable isp's are only jugaads..temporary stop gap arrangements..they can never match up to reliability of DSL connections..letting go off a DSL provider and shifting to hotwire or sify is like committing suicide..they might work reliably for the odd person here and there..but by and large they are crap.

Well guess, I found a way to harness those speeds. As I'm talking to you now I am getting speeds in the range of 150 kb/s. It's BIG. I found a way to get these speeds on a constant basis now, however I can't say it because if I do and if hotwire is reading it, well you get the idea. I'll be posting some more screenshots for your proof 😉

yes there is a way but it doesnt work everywhere, u r lucky man..enjoy..while the sun shines 😉

Well how about these speeds from Airtel? 😛
http://imageshack.us

To make it crystal, I am not uncapping speeds or any such illegal pirate like behaviour. I am just not getting those speeds (am currently downloading at 11 KB/s!!!) - it's just that Airtel speed test went for a six or something... amusing nevertheless.

local servers dude. nothing more. pure cheating. they can put a server 100 meters from my house and tell me that they can only guarantee half the speed i am paying for FROM THEIR SERVERS.

yeah, that whole bit about "from our network to your last mile provision" always stank.This false speed is somehow related to my recent install of Kerio personal firewall (after uninstalling Sygate). When I disable it and test it, I get normal results, but somehow the firewall plays this joke.Anyone want to take a shot at explaining why this happens?

ryan, still getting those scandalously high speeds? or have they plugged the whole thing up?going back - err, being forced to go back - from high speeds is like a kick in the nuts :-( just two evenings ago, things went haywire here, and instead of the slow and steady 10-12kb, airtel was rocketing me at 35-40. stayed like that for an hour, and dropped back to 'normal'. it... feels... terrible.:-(

I think your PC Is caching stuff so the last mile test is showing such high speeds.