• Thread starter Thread starter icycool25
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 12,900

icycool25

Greatest P2P Downloader
ISP
BSNL Broadband 750 UL @ Rs.500 pm
Hi Friends,This is a serious concern that I am putting up here. A few weeks back I formatted my computer. Before the format, I called up a BSNL tech guy to confirm if my modem will work on SP 1.[Since my PC would revert to SP1 after the format.] To this he replied that all BSNL modems installs and works fine on SP1 and SP2. And he also said that BSNL modems DO NOT install or work on Windows XP Service Pack 3. 🙁 So he cautioned me to not upgrade to SP 3. As a result, I have to keep my "Automatic Updates" turned off to avoid an auto-upgrade to SP 3. Since my XP is genuine, I guess I am missing out on some important patches and updates from Microsoft.I am using Nokia Siemens Networks C2110 modem via USB port. My PC does not have a LAN card. Any ideas on this ? Anyone using the same modem as mine or any other modem on XP SP 3 ?

same config here with window xp sp3 and connecting with usb lan modem no problem go ahead:thumbsup:

Oh is it ? Then its great. But how come these BSNL guys are so misinformed ? Anyways, let me ask you 1 more thing. After I update to SP 3, will I have to install the USB driver once again or will it work as usual just like it did when I updated from SP 1 to SP 2 ?

For Using the adsl modem with USB port the drivers if already working will work even with SP3 UPdate.ONly if You upgrade to Windows 7 ( a 40% discount topresent users of Windows OS offered in India ) , the drivers may be rejected ( also with Vista)It is advisable to use an ethernet card and use the LAN port.The transfer speed in the computer increases by 10 times.( usuall rate say 10 Mbps for USB and 100 Mbps for LAn Port).Do not mix with d/l speed from ISP.

A big thanks to essbebe for the reply. But I just want to make sure that my modem will work if I update to SP 3. I still do not get the fact so as to why the BSNL tech guy told me that my modem wont work on SP 3.Secondly, I am not at all interested to upgrade to Windows 7. I am very happy with XP. And yes, at present the USB drivers for Nokia Siemens Networks C2110 works fine on XP SP 2. So it will work fine on SP 3 too, right ?

well microsoft did change some things in the SP3 edition of Windows. so there might be some problems that BSNL technicians have noticed. if XP SP2 is working fine for you. i guess there is no reason to upgrade to SP3.it is not the prefect solution. but if you are a bit adventourous you can install SP3 it find out for yourself. and if it does not work... uninstall sp3.

Well I wanted to update to SP 3 to just make sure that my XP is updated and protected all the time. Microsoft releases some important patches which makes PCs perform better. And there are some anti-virus prog which work only on SP 3.By the way, If I want to uninstall SP 3 later, I can simply do that from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, right ?

Well I am sorry. I got late in posting the feedback here. Well everything is fine with XP SP3. The update downloaded in just 10 mins, and the remaining upgrade process took around 30 mins. So within an hour, I was all set with the all new XP SP3 with my old modem connected to my PC via usb. So its proved now, that Nokia Siemens Networks C2110 works fine on XP SP3. :irock:

Thanks admin, You already know that I am using MSE as an anti-virus as per your suggestion. 🙂