Airtel is cheating 2222 customers by introducing 1699 1mbs unlimited and not migrating them!

• Thread starter Thread starter spyglass
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 24
  • Views Views 7,084

spyglass

ISP
Airtel
Most of you are aware that Airtel has introduced new tariffs a couple of months ago. One of them is the Freedom 1699 tariff for 1mbs unlimited downloads.Now Airtel has many existing customers paying Rs 2222 for the SAME product (1mbs unlimited download). I simply called Airtel and changed to the 1699 plan.When I asked why I was not automatically moved to the new price of Rs 1699 for the same product of 1mbs unlimited, Airtel told me that "customers can look on the Airtel website and see the new products" and "it is not a new price for an existing product, it is a new product".Nowhere else in the world would an ISP get away with introducing a new price for an existing product and then cheating its existing customers by not migrating them automatically to the new price! Why would existing customers look at Airtel's website?Even if Airtel advertises its so-called "new" products, it does not excuse Airtel as existing customers should be automatically migrated to a lower price for the same product. Imagine how many 2222 customers are not aware that they can get the same product for 1699 with just a phone call! This is clearly Airtel cheating its existing customers.

if you have cojones like i have complain to TRAI

better write a letter than email
Address : THE TELECOM REGULATORY AUTHORITY OF INDIA

Mahanagar Doorsanchar Bhawan,
(next to Zakir Hussain College)
Jawaharlal Nehru Marg
(Old Minto Road)

New Delhi : 110 002

Telephone No. : 91-11-2323 6308 (Reception)
2323 3466, 2322 0534, 2321 3223

Fax No. : 91-11-2321 3294(Reception)

E-mail : ap@trai.gov.in
TRAI :::::::

airtel sends the new experience plans with their bills. i have been getting them ever since the new plans were introduced.

airtel also ran that campaign... impatientone on the television. though plans were updated after that campaign was run.

this has been discussed a lot of time in the past.

would you like it if airtel increases the price of your existing plan and migrate you to it and charge you more?

has airtel done that to you ever?

its a company policy. they do not migrate you to new plans 'automatically'.

totally agree with admin...i wish they would increase the plan charges and upgrade customers to the new plan/product..that would be interesting...the bad part about corporate firms is that they are corporate firms and hence ruthless (though thats not necessary and applicable in all cases)..the good part is they will retain you on a certain plan even if the plan charges were quadrupled by TRAI!!When I had Exatt Net (read:shit of the highest order), they called me to tell me that i have to pay 1200 for a 256k plan instead of the proposed 900..why? because they were increasing plan charges!! lol..when i think of the days I had Exatt (2 years 7 months ago to be precise), these days seem like 'broadband honeymoon'!! 😀

Yeah, customers sorta remain on plans they take 'forever' until they request a change. Plans that are discontinued are also continued infinitely for existing customers.

i remember the time when they decreased the iptv charges and i never found out about them until a user pointed out on the forum itself. i make sure to check the iptv plan page frequently to make sure i have the best package to suit my requirement.

can you post the IPTV tariff link from airtel?:imbored:

yeap. i thought about moving to freedom plan. but still not sure. the lure to download more would make my life a misery. i might run out of space in a month or so on the 1TB HDD i bought last month.

----------

the difference in price is around 440 rupees. almost as much as a price of watching a movie in a decent theater with popcorn with another person.

blah.

The plan I have right now (384 Kbps daytime, 1 Mbps) is exactly perfect for me. If it got anymore faster, I would go insane downloading stuff. There is little HD space left anyway.

I am really begining to enjoy high speed dsl.....faster downloads of programs, faster updates and streaming videos/music without stops and with a 2.66 quadcore Intel processor plus 4gb ddr2 ram..... life is real good :thumbsup:

@warthog - thanks for the advice, I'll take it up.@admin - I don't think you understood my point. This is not a new plan. Airtel is disguising a price reduction as a "new plan". It's the SAME plan (1mbs unlimited) for a LESSER price! Obviously if a company reduces the tariff for an existing service, everyone should benefit automatically. One should not be expected to have to constantly monitor Airtel's advertisements. I'm not saying Airtel migrates customers to a new plan. I'm saying that Airtel should reduce the price automatically for all customers for an existing service. Otherwise all of the 2222 customers that are not constantly monitoring Airtel advertisements will continue to pay an extra Rs 523 - a penalty for being an existing customer!I guarantee you that such corporate behaviour would not be tolerated in any developed telecom market such as the UK or US.

It's the SAME plan (1mbs unlimited) for a LESSER price!

It is not the same plan. It's a new plan part of their new range of plans branded experience.

I asked you a question. How would you react to this situation.

Airtel has the plan at 2222. They launch a new plan with same features for 2500. But since all the features are same, it is not really a new plan but they are just increasing the price of the old plan. So, they migrate you to this new plan costing 2500.

So, you are now going to pay more for the same plan just because it has the same features! How would you like that?

You have a problem in this situation because the new plan is cheaper. I bet you would not had any problems if the new plans were more expensive. But you would have cursed Airtel for migrating you automatically to the new plan if it was EXPENSIVE.

Airtel 'does not' modify existing plans. Any new plan even with similar features IS A NEW PLAN.

Can you point out any instance where Airtel changed your existing plan with new features or updated pricing ever?

Apart from FUP, I cannot think of any instance where the plan specifications were changed.

How precisely is it a new plan? Only the price has changed. When the price for a service changes the provider should inform the customers in advance and let them decide whether to continue with the service or cancel it, and the price changes after the notice period. This is a well established global norm in all services and holds true whether the price goes up or down. In the UK when broadband prices went down, everyone automatically benefited without having to ask for the lower prices, but they were informed in advance."New" means something which did not exist before. But 1mbs unlimited download has existed for a long time at the higher price. Airtel can dress this up as part of a new range of plans but it's plain and simple that existing customers are losing out.How would you feel if you are an existing 2222 customer and learned that Airtel had reduced the price for the SAME service you are using to Rs 1699 and so you had been losing out Rs 523 every month whilst new customers had automatically received the new lower price? Is this any way to treat your existing loyal customers?