Airtel Netxpert

• Thread starter Thread starter ultra vires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 74
  • Views Views 68,634
ISP
MTNL 749NU
Airtel has launched NetXpert from SupportSoft , which will make troubleshooting a hell lot easier adn the best part is we wont hav to call those irritatin call centre guys 🙂.

Read More Here.

..cept for the simple fact that when ur connection is not working you can't connect anywhere.....thats when the phone comes in handy 😛

it has been launched in karnataka only, it will come to delhi within a month ... they wanted to sort out error's adn probs if there are any 🙂

Just downloaded it and tried it... My first impression is that it will be great for new customers / beginners. As far as intermediate/advanced users go, there's not much that's very new, but it could become more and more useful depending on how much they develop their knowledge base. Also, they have introduced an "Internet Chat Suport" medium which I am hoping would be available 24 hrs a day, in which case it would be awesome!!!

Overall, the program is decently made.. no major hangups, and would be really convenient for most users.

(And though I didn't try it the following feature could be quite useful for those of us who are habitual complainers) 😛

Create Support Code
Please click on the link to generate a 16 digit Support Code to be passed to the Customer Care Executive[/b]

I think they should add a 'nag' feature to the software which would nag dumb*ss users who don't have up-to-date anti-virus to get the same, and preferably disconnect their connection if they don't do it within a few days 🙂 ... maybe then we will see less network-aware virus activity in the Airtel network.

QUOTE(vebmetal @ May 7 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]50502[/snapback]
I think they should add a 'nag' feature to the software which would nag dumb*ss users who don't have up-to-date anti-virus to get the same, and preferably disconnect their connection if they don't do it within a few days 🙂 ... maybe then we will see less network-aware virus activity in the Airtel network.
[/b]
No, i dont think this is a good idea since it appears you are saying, you need to have an uptodate anti-virus just to use the internet. Does Airtel get a commission on each anti-virus copy sold ?

Now if they detect insane random amounts of traffic originating from a customer and going all over the net, then that's something their traffic analysis tools might pick up on.

I dont run an anti-virus at all cept clamwin which works great in outlook. Allows me to quickly check if a downloaded file is virus free, and best of all its free and is updated daily, automatically too i might add. No memory hogging for no reason when all ports leading to my box are closed by the Beetel NAT that they provide and addtionally by zone alarm.

Netxpert was made for people who dont use this forums 😛if u have a problem with internet connection , then i think this forum has a solution to it untill and unless u hav disconnected the power supply to the modem 😛Netxpert is nthin but just a collection of windows tool put together in a nice and impressive GUI 🙂as for the chat feature , it will do good to us only if we can get a direct contact to 2nd tier engineers otehrwise it is same as phone crap 🙁

Consensus: not exactly.. but you can download the program and run it... I haven't tried the online chat... maybe that's the part that users outside Karntatka can't use, but for all other purposes it seems to work.

blr_p: yes, of course it would work if you just selectively shut down computers that are showing virus-related activity - that's what my college used to do.. that is, till they made it mandatory to use the (free) Norton anti-virus that they provided to everyone, with which they could just push the definitions on to all the computers on the network.

and of course, I am not suggesting that it be made mandatory to use AV provided by Airtel: just that you have to have some form of up-to-date AV software. And I do think for the purpose of most average users, they should adopt such a policy because even now most people don't know how important AV software is, forget realizing that they have to keep it up-to-date, and that 3 month free trial of McAffee they got with their computer is not serving the purpose 2 years later.

I don't know the numbers, but I am sure that if they coudl get rid of such virus activity, they could free up some of their bandwidth. At one point last year I was getting hit by such viruses at least once in 3-4 seconds!!

Talking of AV, have been using Avast for past few months. Its free and works fine.

Airtel is supposed to have started supplying this free troubleshooting software which fixes network and internet connection issues automatically.. it is supposed to automatically detect any problem and fix it automatically..its called NetXpert... anybody using it?? i just wanted to know how good that software is.. any idea??