• Views Views 23,751
Status
Not open for further replies.

pudu123

Regular
ISP
Airtel Xtreme 40Mbps
Hi,

Right now , I am on Airtel Explorer 1099 (384 daytime, 1 MBps night unlimited)

I also Have Tata Sky DTH whose annual subscription will expire this diwali.

So what I am paying right now is this

[*]1215/month for Internet/telephone (I barely use the Fixed Line Telephone.)

[*]3000/annum for tata sky DTH - TV viewing.
[/list]
So yearly I am paying (1215*12 + 3000) = Rs. 17,580/annum

Should I switch over to Airtel IPTV?

I am a heavy user of bit-torrent. Will need 1 MBps unlimited during night atleast. I will NOT compromise on slowing down of my internet speed while watching TV.

Also, for TV I need the Following channels Star World/Movies, CNN, AXN, HBO, Colors, BBC, Sony Pix, Zee Cafe

What would you suggest? My current setup or switchover to IPTV?

If IPTV is recommended what package should I go for and what will be the total cost for switching to IPTV for existing Airtel BB user?

I have my own Netgear WGR614v7 Wi-fi router.

I am on Mac OSX. Will OSX play nice with Airtel IPTV?

Also, I will connect IPTV to my 19" LCD computer screen. I do not have TV

see. airtel iptv is essentially like DTH except that your telephone line is used instead of a dish.

you pay for the account. i think the connection charges are around 2K for existing broadband users.

you around 220 rupees extra for IPTV services monthly. they only have one package which has i think all the channels you want to see.

the best package they have is 1mbps all day long. i am currently on the 1499 plan which gives me 512 during day time and 1 mbps at nights.

the 1mbps Unlimited plan costs i think 1899.

both the plans have the cost of the IPTV included. you have to pay 10% service tax extra.

you do not get the ability to watch the tv on your computer screen as the STB has regular cables that are connected to TV set.

no HDMI ports as well. you would need some kind of a converter if you want to connect it to your LCD.

you do not have to worry about the broadband speed while watching TV as both are not connected to each other.

http://www.airtel.in/IP-TV/iptv_packages_browse.htm check this section for all the costing details.

i like the iptv service coz installation is comparable to regular DTH (Tata Sky plus is EXPENSIVE!) and you pay just 220 bucks monthly. and you get time shift which i believe is much better than manual recording using DVR PVR.

you do not get the ability to watch the tv on your computer screen as the STB has regular cables that are connected to TV set.

First, thank you for your time. 🙂

So, IPTV will cost me (1700*12) = 20,400/annum which is about 3000 more than my current cost?

I have MRon opal LCD TV Box through which I currently connect my Tata Sky DTH box to my LCD monitor.

Any idea if this same box will connect to the IPTV box?

Also, What are the accessories that I get with IPTV. I am guessing a remote control, right?

EDIT : about timeshift. How many hours can I record? Can I schedule recordings? Also, Can I transfer the recordings to my mac osx?

well they would change your existing modem with a four port modem. one port would be used for IPTV. three are for your own use. you get the STB and the Remote of course. wiring is all free no matter how much is required. that's another thing i like about airtel. dth companies charge for wiring after a certain length (10-12 meters). as for time shift. ..you do not have to do anything. they have around 45 channels available in time shift. the entire programming is available on demand from their servers. you do not record anything on your own system. its call from their servers on demand. around 45 channels. 7 days of programming. it's pretty darn cool. 🙂 no you cannot transfer the recording coz its not done at client side. it's like watching a video hosted on a remote server.

well they would change your existing modem with a four port modem.

one port would be used for IPTV. three are for your own use.

So, I can use the modem and make my network wifi using my existing Netgear WGR614v7 wifi router?

hmm. interesting.

2 points concern me:

1) Whther my existing MRON opal LCD tv box will enable me to connect my LCD monitor with tghe IPTV box

2) If I will be able to use my netgear wifi router with new 4-port modem. The new modem will also be from Beetel, I assume.

EDIT : I use openDNS. can I do that with IPTV?

as i said the stb for the iptv is similar to the stb for the dth.

it features the same port. i dont know the exact name component or composite. 😛

so if Tata Sky enables you to do that... airtel iptv would do that too.

here are some photos of the STB you get.

as for wifi router. yes. i use Linksys. you connect your wireless router to the modem provided by airtel and it works fine.

the modem i got was from utstarcom. it's of much better quality (i think).

iptv has nothing to do with your internet connection.

i am not sure if you know this.

IPTV does not use your INTERNET connection. so nothing changes on your broadband connection side.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and for your time.I have about 10 days before my Tata Sky DTH subscription expires so I guess I have a few days to decide.How long does it usually take to install IPTV fron the time I call Customer care to install IPTV?Once again thanks so much for your help.... 🙂

well the main question is... Is IPTV even available in your region. you have not provided with your city name. from what i know its only available in delhi ncr region. (i was lucky to get connection in the first couple of weeks of its launch). installation takes place in 2-3 days i think. might be faster. they would first check if they can provide you with the service since IPTV needs the lines to be in good condition (8mbps data transfer is required for reliable service). only then would they arrive at your place for the paperwork.

just call 121 and ask them to conduct the feasibility study in your area. it would be better if you find out if you can get the connection before considering if you want to get the airtel iptv connection. personally, i think airtel iptv is a much better value for money compared to ANY dth service in the market right now. there are some channels missing but the overall value is much more. and you get a future proof solution!

Yeah. I will do that.I am leaning towards IPTV. I just hope my LCD tv box can connect to the IPTV STB. I think it will.Thans so much for your time.

not a problem. i am a heavy promoter of airtel iptv because it works great and is a great value for money. just that airtel has to add the new channels that are now available. i hate that they are not broadcasting WB on IPTV>

Well, they show Joey on WB which is an awful awful show.Not missing much if you are not watching WB IMO.All the great shows are on bit-torrents I am afraid. Californication, Mad Men, Dexter, Glee.I dare any channel in India to show Californication. The I&B ministry will have a coronary. 😢

heh. they showed the moment of truth on indian television. and then we had the hindi version sach ka saamna. 😀

i am tired of the shit HBO and Star Movies have in store for us. Sony Pix currently has the best movies on television i believe.

----------

Joey came on Zee Cafe for a while I think. i saw a couple of episodes. it was terrible.

Watch a few episodes of Californication. You'll understand what I mean.It's a sexy, edgy show.True Blood (which they show on HBO India) is a crazy ass messed up show as well but boy oh boy Californication is something. 😀

Status
Not open for further replies.