connecting cable internet to wireless router?

deepak_nath

ISP
Cable internet
Hi,I have a cable internet connection. A cable from a cableTV operator's office comes to my residence. This cableI connect directly to my laptop. After connecting that,my laptop detects and shows "connected to LAN" (100 Mbps)symbol in the tray (right bottom of screen). After this I have to use one dialier on desktop which performsusername and password authentication etc. After the successfulauthentication one more LAN symbol appears in the tray. Now Ican simply start my browser and use the internet. There are noextra devices. I don't even have a cable modem. It must be locatedin the cable operator's office I guess.So now my problem is that I want to make this connection wirelessby using a Linksys wireless router(Linksys BEFW11S4 v4 Wireless-B).When I directly connect the cable to the laptop and the connectionis successful then the following settings appear (output of ipconfigcommand)Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:IP address: 192.168.1.2Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1With this everything works fine.Now when I try to make it wireless there is a problem. First of all toavoid IP address conflict I change the default IP address of wifi routerto 192.168.1.5 (default is 192.168.1.1) by going to the web setup of therouter. I connect the cable (cable coming from the cable TV operator's office) to the input port of the Linksys wireless router. Then my laptop detects and connects to this wireless router successfully. The IP address details of the wireless connection are shown below:-IP address: 192.168.1.100Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0Default Gateway: 192.168.1.5Now I use the dialer on the desktop. It alsosuccessfully performs username and password authentication. After this stepis successful I get a small LAN icon in the tray (similar to the earlier step with direct connection). Now the net should work. But when I start browser, no site opens. Can anyone pls guide me how do I make it function?ThanksDeepak

the best option is to ask your cable operator to give you proper directions as the software to connect is given by them. If it is sify then I can give you some help.

Also if you have mtnl landline and if you are in mumbai the best option is to go with mtnl broadband. The have launched best offer today. Just check timesofindia today on page 7. More details on https://broadband.forum/mtnl-broadband/52740-mtnl-broadband-no-one-time-wireless-modem-charges-rs-800-no-activation-charges-rs-300-a/

The cable operator is not cooperating on providing any info on this.Also no matter how good MTNL scheme is technically, their approach toproviding service is totally sarkari. They take couple of months to providetelephone line connection. After which they will take additional time toprovide net connection. They are typical example of government redtape. I have experienced this.I don't know which ISP the cable operator is routing the traffic to.Isn't there any general way in this sort of situation , where you havea cable net at home without having modem in home..and you want tomake it wifi?

In fact mtnl is best in mumbai. If you think cable operators are better than its upto you. Cable operators have monopoly in certain areas hence they command that attitude of not helping and going they way they want customers to connect. Mtnl in recent times have changed in mumbai. Coming back to your point... did cable operator give you some basic settings like your IP, Submask, Gateway & DNS?If yes then let us know so that i can guide you further.