• Views Views 2,580

~Hami~

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
TRAI seeks to fix DTH tariff norms along with non-CAS cable TV services
September 05, 2009

New Delhi, Sept. 5

The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has filed an application before the Supreme Court seeking time to complete the tariff norms of Direct to Home (DTH) services, alongside the finalisation of the eventual tariff dispensation for the non-CAS cable distribution sector.

In the interlocutory application, filed by its counsel Mr Sanjay Kapur on Friday, TRAI said it was earlier asked by the apex court to submit its report on tariff dispensation for non-CAS cable TV services only by December 31, 2009.

The regulator sought extra time to complete the tariff fixation exercise so that it can be done in a proper and transparent manner after consulting all the stakeholders and pointed out that the tariff regulation of the DTH and cable TV services are closely linked. A Bench, comprising Mr Justice B. N. Aggarwal and Mr Justice G. S. Singhvi, adjourned the hearing of the matter to September 30.

TRAI application justified its request for extra time saying it was because “the tariff regulation exercise of the cable TV services is to be completed by December 31, 2009, and the tariff fixation issues requires to be considered in the light of the analysis of the entire distribution market including cable services.”

The regulatory body said that if it conducts a separate exercise for DTH services, it will be based on an incomplete appreciation of the factors affecting the DTH market.

“For ensuring orderly growth and with a view to protect the interests of all the service providers and the consumers of the broadcasting and cable sector, it is necessary that the entire matter is considered in a holistic and comprehensive manner and appropriate regulatory decisions suitable for each segment of the market are evolved based on such a holistic approach,” TRAI said in its application.

The Supreme Court, in July, had directed TRAI to decide on the issue within two months while dismissing an appeal filed by Tata Sky against an order of the Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) in this regard.

The apex court had also rejected separate Special Leave Petitions filed by broadcasters MSM Discovery and Star Den Media Services and Indian Broadcasting Foundation connected to the matter and asked TRAI to proceed with its consultations. TRAI filed the interlocutory application as the two-month period is coming to an end within a few days.
Deadline extended

Meanwhile, TRAI has extended till September 22,the time for submission of information by stakeholders on their financials and operations. The move comes following requests for extension of time from several stakeholders.

TRAI seeks to fix DTH tariff norms along with non-CAS cable TV services

Slightly good news. Atleast some progress. May be supreme court will declare TRAI to be sole authority.

Thats good. These DTH operators are working at their own will and taking the customers for granted. Hope TRAI does something soon.

OK. Atleast something is happening. But is this really a matter to be settled in court? Coz this will go on forever. First of all why did they seperate DTH from Conditional Access System. Enlighten me pls. I mean I still have only 'Conditional Access to Channels' through DTH, similar to DSTs. How different are they except for the medium. Both the mediums are under TRAI's control I believe. So how difficult it is, to consider DTH and DST as similar...if not as one. The end product for the consumer is the channels and programs not the medium. i.e., I dont mind to own a DTH or DST. My ultimate 'want' is to be able to watch my favourite programs and channels. And the ultimate 'need' at this point is 'price'. Only god knows why the prices are so high in DTH. Strangely all the FTA channels are not offered in basic packs by all the DTH companies. Did anybody cared to ask? I mean according to CAS, we pay the basic amount of 100/- to the cable guy to view all the FTA Channels for one month and Rs.5/- each for the pay channels. In DTH, I pay 100/- for the basic pack but dont see all the FTA's. Let alone the Initial amount, the installation charges and the 'tips' i paid for the digital reciever. Personally, I dont care whether I have a DTH or a DST next to my TV. Or if the cable is directly connected to the TV. When I pay Rs.100/- according to TRAI, I should be watching all the FTAs. Again TRAI has to look into this issue as well. Coz some of the FTA channels are only available in the Addon packs and I have to shell out extra money to view them. So Where do I stand. I mean, my friend who has only a cable connection, not even a DST, happily watches more channels than me for the minimum amount adviced by TRAI. What more, they even have a seperate channel where the cable guy puts movies in the morning and evening for the homemakes(Extra movies at weekends for men and children including latest English movies) Do i look like an IDIOT? May be. But the funniest part is yet to come. The cable guys, to woo the customers for their loyalty, and to continue the relationship...they even relay 'pay channels' -like Star Cricket, Ten sports, Neo etc. for free during important events and matches. I should say, "For once, Good things in life are FREE".Am I jealous? Of course I am. What do you think? Its simple boss, the cable guy is a good example for TRAI. The consumers are more important than anybody else. If they want to make things simple and easy, they can. But looks like they are confused whether to include the service providers into the beneficiary list and at what ratio. Personally I wont do that. At first, when this CAS was introduced it was publicized and understood as "I can select and watch what I want to see" Then DSTs changed it to "Pay only for what you watch" Now the DTH says "PAY AND WATCH YOU IDIOT"Of course I pay. What do you think?Psst* - Does anybody know or have a list of FTA channels in the Constitution of India and according to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India. Can I use the 'Right to Information Act' to know more?