Reliance Netconnect Broadband Plus: Compatibility with Linux?

• Thread starter Thread starter dhruv311
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 9,424
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhruv311

ISP
India
Hey,Has anybody here got Reliance NetConnect Broadband+ to work on a Linux machine, or know whether it's possible at all 🙁I'm considering switching from Tata Indicom Photon Whiz, which btw came with clear instructions on how to install to linux. :thumb:

HiI am currently writing this from a Debian system via Reliance Broadband.Note: You need 2 things:1. Activate your connection, may be from Window$. I think dialling *228 should do. But not confirmed. Once you are sure the thing is activated you need to make sure this:2. You have 2.6.29 linux. Only this kernel onwards will the device be detected as a modem and mounted as /dev/ttyUSB*. This is the reason why it works in Ubuntu/Jaunty out of box.If you are totally new to the whole idea of connecting internet using USB modem in GNU, you might have to broaden your search. Concept is quite simple: Modprobe the device, configure wvdial.conf and dial. Using kppp instead of wvdial will be a bit more easier.Happy hacking.

oh wow, i can't believe that didn't strike me!Thanks for the reply mahesh,I had actually given up hope on this forum, thinking that it was filled with uninitiated windozers, who didn't have any technical inclinations. Glad i've found u now 😉I got so frustrated over the last 10 days actually, trying every solution i could find. I finally gave up and downloaded ubuntu 9.04 - coz i knew that worked out of the box.I'm using PCLinuxOS by the way - 2009.1 , just switched from Mint coz it was givin' me problems with apache. Anyways, i'm gonna update my kernel today, and play around a ittle - as you suggested. yeay!But i've got other issues now - with Reliance customer service. Damn Anil, and Mukesh! I wish there was a kernel update for them too *sigh*

I am using WvDial utility to connect with Reliance NetConnect in Linuxto install WvDial try apt-get install WvDial(ubuntu)or yum install Wvdial (fedora,redhat)

Status
Not open for further replies.