Problems With Yahoo Msngr Voice Chat

• Thread starter Thread starter jango28
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 5,535

jango28

Hi,My friend recently got MTNL broadband connection at their house. Its working fine and speed is also good.Connecting voice chat thru Yahoo msngr (version 7 and above) works and it gets connected. They can hear my voice CLEARLY but all I get from their side is disturbance & not a single word is heard by me.I'm in the US and using DSL broadband connection thru cable. The voice chat at MTNL end works fine with a person in Singapore.Is it an issue with the modem?Any pointers will be appreciated.TIA

Yahoo's voice kinda sux in this regards...Prefer to Use Google tallk or Skype which def offer much superior voice quality...

Skype should be better...but if u don't want to be in front of the PC then ask ur folks to use VoipStunt...really good voice quality, unlimited free calls to US/Canada landlines and mobiles...u just need to buy credits worth 10 euros (Rs. 550/- approx.) which will serve u for 3-4 months...give it a try and u won't repent...enjoy!!! 😀

WE Hindustaanis always look for something free

"Jab Koi Muft me de to paisa kyon de" :lol:

Anyway we always find one.Try http://www.voipuser.org 😉
its a voip club were they let you try voip calls for free to
many of the landlines of mostly western countries, along
with this provide you non geographical UK numbers, the
funda is simple get some incoming calls on that UK No to
fund your outgoing calls . They usually provide sip settings
for making calls you have to download softphone like Xlite
and sj phone to make it work for you.
for more queries read there forum.Its best for anyone having
relative in UK for rest its just too good.

Happy Calling 😉

i hv no relative abroad 🙁 🙁 yaar i was talking about free pc to phone calls within india.

^^^ yaar anyways the rates for calling in India are so cheap. India has the cheapest call rates in the world....

In the US, i understand ppl pay a flat fee per month for unlimited calls within the country. Compare that to Rs 1.20/min for landlines to mobiles here. For cheap rates u gotta pay a high monthly rental. Zero-rental plans have higher call rates. I'd rather they come out with an unlimited plan for local calls rather than STD at 1Re/min.

QUOTE(mystery_inc18 @ Apr 27 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]49436[/snapback]
i hv no relative abroad 🙁 🙁 yaar i was talking about free pc to phone calls within india.
[/b]
Mate there should not be any thing like
free in india i am not in favour of it B)
Why so because when its free people misuse it and talk silly cum unwanted
Instead rates should me cheaper take at just 10paisa/min however if
free then these free (or welle loki is what we call in punjabi) people
will kill you with there boring talk. Alreday fed up of the mistake i took with
TaTa walky and hope that like reliance they will also end it. 🙂 🙂

Another person under the hype of a brand promotion called skype.Skype is good but its propertiship(spell not correct) so you cant talk with other voip service customer. While if you are using SIPprotocol based voip company service you could dial your friendwho is using another sip based voip company this occurs becausethe protocol is same i.e. Sip.Isnt intercompatibility good

Ther is another site called freeworlddialup workin on SIP protocol...They hv a s/w called .... umm.. I think Communicator...Not tried it yet.. But i hrd its good and basd on SIP protocol rather than H.323 or skype's protocol...

QUOTE(Jango Bingo @ Apr 23 2006, 02:45 PM) [snapback]49017[/snapback]
Connecting voice chat thru Yahoo msngr (version 7 and above) works and it gets connected. They can hear my voice CLEARLY but all I get from their side is disturbance & not a single word is heard by me.
I'm in the US and using DSL broadband connection thru cable. The voice chat at MTNL end works fine with a person in Singapore.
Is it an issue with the modem?
[/b]
My guess is there is prob with firewall settings, look to see if certain ports on your end need to be unblocked.

The quality of your firewall might also be in doubt depending on how well it can forward said ports. UpnP is a useful feature to have.

If all else fails then you might have to experiment by setting your comp up in the DMZ.

If the other party has at least 128kbs, you should have no probs to do video+voice sans problem.

5 Yrs ago i used msn chat for voice and it worked great for hrs at a time when the party in india was on nothing but dialup @40kbs. All skype does is makes firewalls easier to bypass (NAT Traversal), can't imagine !Y would not have similar. Desi's i worked with at the time were terrified to use it as VoIP was illegal in India, had to point out that mSN nor !Y did not (still don't) use the VoIP protocol to communicate.

Desi's i worked with at the time were terrified to use it as VoIP was illegal in India, had to point out that mSN nor !Y did not (still don't) use the VoIP protocol to communicate.
[/b]

Isn't it still illegal using VoIP???
Dunno abt MSN nor Y! but google and skype(Dun remember the names, google shud hlp here) use their own protocols for this purpose and thts y i guess the voice quality is so superior...
SIP is the hottest protocol and will hopefully integrate all these s/w together