Netgear Super-G & Rangemax routers

• Thread starter Thread starter nikeel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 2,479
The link (In the 'Overview' tab) that you provided shows the main features & differences between them. With the speeds we get I think the usual 'Wireless G' should be good enough. Also the range should be enough for most people, unless the house is very big or has many walls between the router & computer (laptop I presume)

which wireless router make do mtnl give in mumbai at the price of INR 800? Once you pay Rs. 800 , does that router belong to the customer? or mtnl has ownership?I am talking of 512 unlimited plan of 999

@socrates. I currently have MTNL's D-Link wireline modem. If I decide to return the modem to MTNL and buy a modem cum router combo, what is the position regarding the splitter? Does that have to be given back to MTNL? Or do I keep the splitter?Does a splitter come in the box of a new modem cum router?

@nikeel Officially you have to return the splitter alongwith the modem back to MTNL. Whether a splitter comes with the next depends on the manufacturer & model of the ADSL modem cum router. If you are opting for a MTNL provided piece then its for them to provide whatever is required. If you are buying the unit from the market then even if the chosen make/model does not have a splitter, you can buy it separately from the market.I use D-Link 502T+Linksys WRT54G units (both self owned)

@socrates. Thanks!By the way what do u call the splitter when u go looking for it in the market? Does it have any specific name? And cost?I currently have MTNL rented D-Link 502T and am trying to decide whether to return this and buy a combo modem+router. Or just to get a router. What do you suggest?

When you go to Lamington Rd ask for a 'splitter' also called 'micro filter' or just describe it to them, they will understand 🙂. I have separate units as I bought them in different points in time. Having a self owned piece is economical only if you are not on the Unlimited packs, as they are not charged rent. If you are indeed on a Unlimited pack then just tell them, you want a WiFi unit, its upto them to get a router or a combo piece. 🙂. If you are on a 'Limited' pack then a 1 piece unit will be better.

Ok. If I have to return MTNL's modem to them, I think I have to go to the exchange & submit it along with a application. How easy is this process?Among standalone routers, I have shortlisted 3 models:Linksys WRT54G2 : Rs.2400Linksys WRH54G : Rs. 2000(approx)Netgear WGR614: Rs. 1600What is there in the WRT54G2 which makes it more expensive compared to the Netgear WGR614?In combo, I think Linksys WAG54G2 seems to be ideal for Rs.3400

Pls see y post #4, #6, #8If you are going in for a UL pack then you dont have to pay rent for the CPE, If you are going in for a 'Limited' pack then there is a charge by MTNL.If you want only a WiFi router then the Netgear WGR614 should be enoough but if you want to go for the combo piece then Linksys WAG54G2 should be ok.

I am on a limited plan.I was actually trying to compare Netgear WGR614 with Linksys WRT54G2....both only routers....was wondering why the price difference between these 2.On the side..... for only routers....which one would you advise between Netgear & Belkin?

I am on a limited plan.
I was actually trying to compare Netgear WGR614 with Linksys WRT54G2....both only routers....was wondering why the price difference between these 2.

On the side..... for only routers....which one would you advise between Netgear & Belkin?

Even when I bought my Linksys WRT54G in 2007 there was a price difference as the Linksys then had a 3 yr warranty whereas the Netgear WGR614 piece was 2 yrs & the brand name also have a price 😀