• Views Views 8,548

vebk

Mr. Advocate
ISP
Airtel 8 Mbps 'Unlimited'
I'm on the Home 999 plus plan (256 kbps unlimited), however I am getting:
[*]Day: 160 kbps when I should get upto 256 kbps
[*]Night: 283 kbps when I should get upto 512 kbps
[/list]I have measured this using Airtel's own speedcheck, as well as speakeasy.net.

What I have done as per their suggestions:
[*]Cleared my browser cache and cookies.
[*]Powercycled my USB modem (in fact I even reinstalled it).
[*]Tried many different sites using IE and Firefox.
[*]Full scanned my system with completely updated AV software as well as two different Anti-spyware software (negligible results).
[/list]In addition since I had complained of this a week or so back, their technician had even come to my house, checked it out and changed the modem from the existing ZyXEL (USB) to R.B. Comtec (USB).

Am I correct in assuming that the problem is on their end?
Is anyone else facing these kinds of speeds?

my net sucks today. very bad speeds. reminds me of dialup connection. touched like 8KBps on their speed test site.

Meanwhile in the south, speeds are boringly predictable 25KB/s regardless of the time of day.

No problem of slow speed in Noida. The slow speed problem arises mostly when ur local DSLAM is getting choked. This happens when the number of Airtel users in ur area/locality increases without an increase in the Bandwidth allocation to the DSLAM. To check if ur DSLAM is choked or not use PING and TRACERT commands at the command prompt to check packet loss and latency. While using theses commands make sure that ur not using the net i.e downloading/surfing at that time. Ideally u should not have any packet loss i.e 0%. Any loss of more than 1% means there is some choking on the line.

eg.
ping www.yahoo.com -t
tracert www.yahoo.com

my pings are perfectly fine...

Experiencing slower than average speeds lately. Around 15k-20K (max) today - on my 256 connection. By the way anyone from Bangalore in this forum? could you let me know if you are experiencing double speeds at night. Thanks.

QUOTE(gabruputt @ Apr 21 2006, 11:26 PM) [snapback]48842[/snapback]
By the way anyone from Bangalore in this forum? could you let me know if you are experiencing double speeds at night. Thanks.
[/b]
You notice "From" under my name...

..and no we don't get dbl speeds at night. You see things work so good here that they don't have to bribe us.

Speeds are fine at my place (s.delhi). But since morning my connection is going down after every 3-4hrs and i have to reboot the modem to get back online. Hope it fixes itself :mellow:

QUOTE(blr_p @ Apr 21 2006, 04:39 PM) [snapback]48813[/snapback]
Meanwhile in the south, speeds are boringly predictable 25KB/s regardless of the time of day.[/b]
Yup, 25 all thru the day. Neither more nor less. But the extra 7 kBps that I need, to touch the 32 kBps of a real 256k connection, could make a pleasant & welcome difference....

QUOTE(blr_p @ Apr 22 2006, 12:17 AM) [snapback]48848[/snapback]
You notice "From" under my name...[/b]

hehe...

QUOTE(prathapml @ Apr 22 2006, 12:46 AM) [snapback]48852[/snapback]
But the extra 7 kBps that I need, to touch the 32 kBps of a real 256k connection, could make a pleasant & welcome difference....[/b]

for fear of repeating myself: s.delhi, 10-12 days, 20-23 nights... that's about as much as airtel can give at the moment i think. one of the many chaps who came over recently called up his supervisor, and that guy must've been talking really loudly, because i think i heard him (the supervisor say) "10-12K? customer ko kya problem hai? ekdum theek speed tau hai..."

sorry about for spreading more "no hope" stories, but still...

hmmmm... no reply to an e-mail sent 2-3 days ago.... which is weird because the last two times I have complained via the same method, I have got a response within a day or so.

In the event that Airtel has become shit now too, do we have any alternative >=256 kbps unlimited package offered by any other ISP? (I haven't kept abreast of plans lately).

true - but the thing is that I don't want them to send a technician home, since I think that the chance of something being wrong on my end is quite slim. So i requested that they pass on the message to their technical team.Especially since their technicians always come in that small window of the day when the speeds are somewhat normal (around 20-26 KB/s)... I suspect maybe they increase the speed from their box before they show up!! 😛