• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 12,880
Status
Not open for further replies.

umeshd

ISP
MTNL Triband 849NU / Reliance Broadband 300K UL Combo
Hi All,This is neither a complaint nor praise for Reliance Broadband service. Thought I would share my experience of Reliance Broadband (Wired - combo 649/- plan) and hope it may benefit someone else.The plan is quite good in terms of money spent you get 300K unlimited broadband connection plus a phone connection with 150/- worth free calls every month. So in effect the broadband comes in at 500/- per month which to say the least is economical enough.Enrollment was thru a field sales agent who dropped in our building and he managed all paperwork and form filling etc. No advance payment etc is necessary and there's no installation charges as well. The connection was done within 3-4 days of giving application.Technology wise, Reliance lays a LAN cable from their "Server" box (no idea what equipment it is) to your premises. This cable goes thru an adapter called Multimedia Terminal Adapter which splits telephone connection out. Contrary to the MTNl or Airtel ADSL connections where the phone line carries data, here the LAN carries voice i.e. phone line. This also means if you have no power, your phone goes dead and not the broadband.Once the connection is activated, you need to login via Reliance web page to access internet using the login id (11digits) provided.In my case all above setup is working fine and no issues so far in about a weeks operation.My home network setup and the problem is as follows:In my house I have 1xDesktop, 1xLaptop & 2xMobiles with WiFi.So far I was (and still going to be) using MTNL Triband which is ADSL. I connect the ADSL modem into a Netgear WiFi Router. Thru this, all 4 devices that I have can access internet anytime and simultaneousely.The way Reliance broadband works is that only one device is allowed to login at a time. Effectively I have to use only one of my four devices at a time. It may not be that critical for someone else, but when I am home, my business mobile is configured to checks emails thru Wifi every hour, I would keep my laptop connected thru VPN to corporate network. The home desktop and the personal mobile would be used often, not necessarily always on to access internet. With only one session allowed on Reliance, this is not possible.Also because Reliance uses TA to split out phone, no power means phone line goes down while broadband remains up. This would obviousely be an issue for someone who wants to switch to Reliance because of the Phone/Broadband Combo they offer.In terms of usage so far, once logged in, broadband works fine. Have tried downloading large files (100~200MB) and that has worked fine. No issues in terms of accessing any sites so far.Speedtest.net shows download speed of 0.29Mbps and upload speed of 0.35Mbps which should be good enough for most (Casual) home users.Have tried calling broadband help desk and it's been okay. They have answered my questions although it hasn't helped in terms of getting my access needs satisfied. No comments on uptime etc since I have barely used it for a week now. And in my case it would be stable since all Reliance equipment is actually installed in my building itself.Reliance also offers free F-Secure Antivirus / firewall basic package. I didn't bother to check that since I prefer different AV/FW software.All in all it's been mixed experience. While I would have loved the lower charges, I cannot continue using Reliance because of the single machine usage issue. Am now going to discontinue Reliance and revert back to MTNL Triband 256K Unlimited plan from next month even if that means shelling out 999/- instead of 649/- per month.Last but not least, thanks in advance for spending your time in reading all this. Hope it helps.RegardsUmeshPS - For anyone thinking why I went in for Reliance if above issues were known, I did ask the sales guy who came in to get forms etc filled up to let me speak with someone techie. The techie guy told me their connectivity would allow use of WiFi router and multiple machines as well. But definitely I wasn't made aware of the login and single session thing till I got the connection. Still no complaints from my side because they have delivered what they offered.

you can use reliance to run 4 devices simultaneously just buy a Type - II modem from bsnl or mtnl or any adsl gateway that supports (MER Routing) and put that modem in MER mode it will get IP from reliance server now login into reliance broadband login site from one device and all devices will be able to use the internet connection

Update - My connection is not working since last night. When I tried calling broadband support, the IVR asks me to enter customer ID and then alternate contact number. Once I do that, I get a message "Your account is suspended. Please make payment as soon as possible. Thank You" !!!! And there doesn't seem to be any option on IVR to get in touch with an agent. So I'm firing a mail to them and lets see what reply comes thru.So barely a week into the service, I have no idea why my connection is not working and can't make any payments since I haven't got any bills etc.I'm now pretty sure I'm not going to continue using Reliance.

Technology wise, Reliance lays a LAN cable from their "Server" box (no idea what equipment it is) to your premises. This cable goes thru an adapter called Multimedia Terminal Adapter which splits telephone connection out. Contrary to the MTNl or Airtel ADSL connections where the phone line carries data, here the LAN carries voice i.e. phone line. This also means if you have no power, your phone goes dead and not the broadband.

Doesn't happen to me. I had this issue that phone went down about 45 minutes after a power failure, and on raising a complaint, some UPS batteries somewhere were replaced and there is no more an issue.

So far I was (and still going to be) using MTNL Triband which is ADSL. I connect the ADSL modem into a Netgear WiFi Router. Thru this, all 4 devices that I have can access internet anytime and simultaneousely.

You should be able to do the exact same thing with Reliance too. In my experience, the modem and wifi router option is more stable than using a single ADSL modem+router.
And if you have the autologin program (available on this forum) installed on both your computers, it almost works as a PPPOE always on connection (credit the program author).

The way Reliance broadband works is that only one device is allowed to login at a time. Effectively I have to use only one of my four devices at a time. It may not be that critical for someone else, but when I am home, my business mobile is configured to checks emails thru Wifi every hour, I would keep my laptop connected thru VPN to corporate network. The home desktop and the personal mobile would be used often, not necessarily always on to access internet. With only one session allowed on Reliance, this is not possible.

Not true. The only problem you will have is that you will need atleast one computer up for the mobiles to connect, I think.

@ GlassMy first point on Phone was wrong. There are batteries in the TA box that took about 12 hrs to get charged. However both other points are valid. Got an official reply from Reliance saying I can't use net from more than one machine at a time.

@ Glass

My first point on Phone was wrong. There are batteries in the TA box that took about 12 hrs to get charged. However both other points are valid. Got an official reply from Reliance saying I can't use net from more than one machine at a time.

Well, that is (un)official Reliance CC speak saying it is a 'single user' connection and that they don't 'support' routers, though you can add a router yourself and try if it works. No where on the plan documentation, the EULA or the FAQs is this mentioned, and Reliance could not point this out on my specific query.

That said, I have a laptop and desktop at home and use an ADSL router+modem in MER mode to connect both at a time, sometimes. It works well most of the time, though there is an occasional situation of not getting an IP assigned once a week or 10 days and I have to shift to bridge mode; it corrects itself in a couple of hours. Some members on the board confirmed they don't have this issue ever.

I also found that a broadband router plugged to the Reliance modem doesn't have this problem at all. You might want to try.

Actually, I am persistently trying to persuade Reliance to look at this once-in-a-week issue seriously, since every other ISP supports ADSL routers by default, and if Reliance can't due to the weird authentication system they have invented, it just makes them uncompetetive, all other things being equal.

Thanks.

Actually, I am persistently trying to persuade Reliance to look at this once-in-a-week issue seriously, since every other ISP supports ADSL routers by default, and if Reliance can't due to the weird authentication system they have invented, it just makes them uncompetetive, all other things being equal.

Thanks.

I do hope reliance fixes this router issue, this is the sole reason I have shifted to airtel (reliance is now my standby provider) the moment they fix this router issue, I will be back with reliance as their connection rocks no latency issues or slowing down during morning hrs etc.

Reliance has to fix this if they want to have more connections, even normal home users these days have multiple gadgets that need net connection via Wifi, for example I have a wifi laptop a desktop, PS3 and a mobile phone mobile and while using the wifi router with reliance connection it works 80% of the times, but many times it wont assign the IP and you have to pull your hair out!

@ Glass - Thanks Man !!Got a call from Reliance today checking on my exact problem. The guy suggested I try once again and connect Reliance connection into WiFi router WAN port and try using multiple machines. In this case it seems to be working right now at least. I'm sure I tried the same thing the day Reliance connection got installed and it didn't work that time.So with Reliance broadnet, I need to login from any one device in order to use broadband. Feels like it's back to Sify days except for the dialer !!I now need to decide between Reliance Combo (300K UL + 150/- in call value) @ 649 vs MTNL Triband 512K @ 999 !!! Unfair I think . . .should consider Reliance 600K combo against MTNL.Guess I'll keep both on for another month before deciding and using one as pure standby.

@Glass

Hey did u checked the new hyderabad dc hub?
I have downloaded 6GB so far 😀

----------

@Glass

I do hope reliance fixes this router issue, this is the sole reason I have shifted to airtel (reliance is now my standby provider) the moment they fix this router issue, I will be back with reliance as their connection rocks no latency issues or slowing down during morning hrs etc.

Reliance has to fix this if they want to have more connections, even normal home users these days have multiple gadgets that need net connection via Wifi, for example I have a wifi laptop a desktop, PS3 and a mobile phone mobile and while using the wifi router with reliance connection it works 80% of the times, but many times it wont assign the IP and you have to pull your hair out!

Spot on! A lot can happen over IP!

----------

@ Glass - Thanks Man !!
So with Reliance broadnet, I need to login from any one device in order to use broadband. Feels like it's back to Sify days except for the dialer !!

NP.
Try the autologin program. Leave it on each system and let it startup with the system. Does not matter if it runs on both systems at once, since it is your router's MAC that is registered on the servers.

----------

@Glass

Ok, downloading DC++ again now! 😗

Got a call from Reliance today checking on my exact problem. The guy suggested I try once again and connect Reliance connection into WiFi router WAN port and try using multiple machines. In this case it seems to be working right now at least. I'm sure I tried the same thing the day Reliance connection got installed and it didn't work that time.

So with Reliance broadnet, I need to login from any one device in order to use broadband. Feels like it's back to Sify days except for the dialer !!

Update - This arrangement is acting weird sometimes. I get DHCP from my router but can't open any sites at all. Not even reliance login page even if I use the IP address (10.239.89.15). If I connect to reliance directly, everything works fine. So it seems it should be something with my router config. The problem goes off as suddenly as it appears. Since last couple of days the success rate is 90% but the 10% of the times it's failed has been real pain.

Anyone else facing similar issue or knows why this happens ? I use Netgear WGR614v4 firmware 5.07 WAN configuration is no login, IP/DNS to be taken from DHCP.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

@Glass
ok then i wil see u in hyd hub
Been there with neo there today on test basis, clocked around 660kbps for download/upload.

Update - This arrangement is acting weird sometimes. I get DHCP from my router but can't open any sites at all. Not even reliance login page even if I use the IP address (10.239.89.15). If I connect to reliance directly, everything works fine. So it seems it should be something with my router config. The problem goes off as suddenly as it appears. Since last couple of days the success rate is 90% but the 10% of the times it's failed has been real pain.

Is your modem/router getting an IP for sure when you face this trouble? If yes, then it surely is a router config issue.

But if the IP itself is not being assigned to the modem/router, welcome to the once-a-week or 90-10 issue we talked above.

Thanks GlassGuess what. When the problem appeared this morning, I did a IP release / renew on router and it went normal. One thing I've noticed on the connection stats is the DHCP lease is just 2 hours !!

Thanks Glass

Guess what. When the problem appeared this morning, I did a IP release / renew on router and it went normal. One thing I've noticed on the connection stats is the DHCP lease is just 2 hours !!

That gets renewed closer to the end of 2 hours automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.