Triband and Ubuntu linux

• Thread starter Thread starter coolmob
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 5,836

coolmob

ISP
MTNL
i have just installed UBUNTU LINUX on my computer and i am using the TRIBAND 590NU plan. i also have windows on my computer on which the net works fine, but in linux i am able to open the router configuration page, but i cannot open any site.if anyone knows how to set it up, please help......

okay okay... here we go 😀do the following: right click on your desktop. you will see a menu entry "run terminal". click it. a terminal should pop up. now type:sudo gedit /etc/resolv.confhit enter. now enter the superuser password (= by default the same password that you use to login, if you are the first user on the newly installed system)the editor should come up the the resolv.conf file.Now type valid DNS entries in this mannernameserver 203.94.243.70nameserver 203.94.227.70nameserver 192.168.1.1once you have modified your file, save it and close the editor.Now the most important part.... somehow the dhcp client keeps modifying the resolv.conf in a set amount of time and that's why the net dosent work.... so you have to lock the file so that it cant be modified now, back at the terminal, typesudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.confnow open your browser or synaptic and test if everything works. 🙂if not, report back. 😉ohh and btw if you do realise that you have to change the DNS entriessudo chattr -i /etc/resolv.confThis will unlock the file again B)

QUOTE(coolmob @ Apr 13 2006, 12:57 AM) [snapback]48079[/snapback]
i have just installed UBUNTU LINUX on my computer and i am using the TRIBAND 590NU plan.

i also have windows on my computer on which the net works fine, but in linux i am able to open the router configuration page, but i cannot open any site.

if anyone knows how to set it up, please help......
[/b]

how did u get access to the router?? can u help me how 2 configure the router in linux??

instead of usin these crappy commandlines go toSystem-> Administration -> Networking (Enter logon password) -> DNS -> Add (Here Enter DNSes for MTNL triband) OK when u r doneThats it !!!!Net shud work nowWhy ppl keep on giving terminal commandline methods to intimidate newbees ???Try best to provide help in GUI

Well Sanke1 you are right when you say that commands should not be given, but my experience with Ubuntu was bad with the gui as it does now work!!I was configuring SIFY on a friend's PC with Ubuntu and when I entered the default gateway given by Sify , it worked , but only till the next reboot..the settings were lost when i rebooted...hence in Ubuntu you need to work from commad line...(thats what i did finally at his place)But in Fedora/SUSE this is no issue and even I would have recommended a GUI for that.

I dont kno how ur settings arent gettin saved..I m myself usin ubuntu as i type.It work flawlessly frm first boot..I also got my NTFS support for my windows partition up and running.Make sure u giv it read only support for NTFS write support is dangerous and experimental

QUOTE(Suraj @ Apr 30 2006, 01:43 PM) [snapback]49756[/snapback]
why all the static ip assignments?
[/b]
:huh: Where??

and Snake1.... i'm really surprised that it did work for u from the GUI route....
coz it didnt for me atleast....... the DHCP client keeps rewriting the DNS entries...
so the command line route was inevitable.

Actually according to me Ubuntu does not justify the hype it created in distroworld.It never worked for me as well as Fedora does .(I use FC5)Fedora/SUSE/Mandriva are far more stable and mature.Agreed its new on the scene , but it needs to catch up a lot .BTW the new Ubuntu Dapper looks promising going by the reviews of the beta.So for a better linux experience go for Fedora/SUSE..

QUOTE(aniketvb @ May 2 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]50040[/snapback]
Actually according to me Ubuntu does not justify the hype it created in distroworld.
Fedora/SUSE/Mandriva are far more stable and mature.[/b]
Indeed!

Ubuntu does not support NTFS partitions?? Can someone post a guide on how to add support for them coz i got two drives/4 partitions all NTFS. Am planning to use the 6.06 Dapper live cd to try it out. Never used linux before so please try to keep it as simple as possible 😛Thought of getting FC5 but the sheer size of it (3GB i think) put me off. The ubuntu live cd is perfect for me in that regard as i just wanna give it a try (provided it works). Same goes for many other windows users i guess, hence the hype. One more thing, should i get ubuntu 6 or kubuntu 6.06? Any links on how the live cd works n all will be welcome.

QUOTE(sanke1 @ Apr 30 2006, 01:36 PM) [snapback]49755[/snapback]
Make sure u giv it read only support for NTFS write support is dangerous and experimental
[/b]
http://ubuntuguide.org/#windows
well this'll just help you for mounting the partitions with read support.

The thing i love about Ubuntu..
The guides...... there's one for everything.....and then there are so many flavors to choose from
Ubuntu--with GNOME
Kubuntu--for KDE enthusiasts
Edubuntu--for kids
Xubuntu--My current favorite... it really fast even on a 1GHZ machine...very unusual for the amount of eyecandy that XFCE can dole out

NTFS write support is still experimental so I recommend NOT using it. You can mount your partitions read only. Curse microsoft for making NTFS "propritery". Dunno what they gained by doing that. There are much better File Systems than NTFS - EXT3 / XFS / JFS / Reiser FS rock! 😀