How to use fivenet in ubuntu linux?!?

• Thread starter Thread starter chirag64
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 12,044

chirag64

ISP
Five Net
Hello friends, I'm a new user to fivenet and I was wondering what kind of connection is fivenet (my guess is its PPPoE) and how do I connect to the internet on my ubuntu 9.04 OS?

i am using ubuntu 9.10 need help using 5 net on ubuntu how to make pppoe conection

its pretty simple just open ubuntu software center and search for linuxdc it will give u a positive result n u can install it there itself....... it will come under internet tab in applications......:cool2:

its quiet easy to get internet started on Linux. Command to start the pppoe configuration is simple.

#sudo pppoeconf

It will start the pppoe configuration setup. Just keep everything to default and enter your username and password where required. Finally it will ask you whether to start the pppoe connection at the startup. Obviously you want to say yes to that.

Voila... net is alive and kicking in your linux.

---

(and oh yeah forgot to mention, in case you decide that you dont want your net to start at he start-up this is the command to manually start and stop the net)

to start
#pon dsl-provider

and to stop
#poff dsl-provider

hello every one..I have got this brand new Dell inspiron 1012 (mini 10) with moblin ubuntu 9.10 installed in it.The problem is that i could connect to my wireless router. But i cannot connect to internet.V got SSV internet connection. which uses fivenet connection.After surfing through i came to know to use sudo pppoeconfig command to configure. I configured it. After that i used commandsudo pon dsl-provider No error msg till now After that when i hit sudo plog : it showd likechap authentification failed : bad username or passwordconnection Terminated.please can anyone help me...

hey nithin, you are having that problem cause the pppoe cant figure out which service you are trying to log in on... this will fix it..!

you will need to edit a perticular file located at here

/etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider

to do so, go to konsol and type

#gksu gedit /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider

in that file you will see a line something like this

plugin rp-pppoe.so eth0

you will need to insert this into the line before eth0

rp_pppoe_service

replace the "" with your net-service name. (the dialer you use in windows should have that name)

so the line should look like this

plugin rp-pppoe.so rp_pppoe_service eth0

save and close the file. now

pon dsl-provider command should work like a charm.

thanks hoopfool,I changed according wat u said..and run sudo pon dsl-providerand after i checkd with plog -fbut it showd like Timeout waiting for PADO packetsUnable to complete pppoe discoveryexiti have changed the file/etc/ppp/peers/dsl-providerasplugin rp-pppoe.so rp_pppoe_service fivenet eth0i m not sure that service of my provider... do u knw how to find it?currently i m using ssv fivenet in cbd belapurwhat to do know????thank u

fivenet cant be the name of your provider. it would be something like ssvfivenet.To check, go to windows check the properties of your dialer. In 'General" it will show you service name.. write/copy it like that. Small/large, as it is. That will be your name.If not that then in linux you can use following command to find out available services on the broadband.#sudo pppoe-discoveryor you can just call your service provider. that ssv people for it 😉

hey hopefool, Sorry i m replying after a long time.. I was busy with my office work man.When i called to my service provider she told me the service name wil be either fivenetssv or ssvfivenet. I have checked both. But Its not working. plugin rp-pppoe.so is loaded correctly.but when pon dsl-provider runs it shows following msg. Timeout waiting for PADO packetsUnable to complete pppoe discovery.what to now??hey where should i specify the local ip address, remote ip address and primary dns and secondary dns????

hello guys i jus want one of u people to paste ur /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider file So that i can accordingly change in my file.Thanks.

hello guys
i jus want one of u people to paste ur /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider file
So that i can accordingly change in my file.
Thanks.

Hi Nithin,

Have you managed to get this working?