Hayai Broadband: How it all began!

• Thread starter Thread starter mgcarley
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 695
  • Views Views 126,282
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having wireless as the ONLY option is less than ideal. The last-mile Fiber Optic cables are only 3mm thick or so (plus shielding, so let's say about 12-15mm maximum if we put a bunch in), so small streets aren't too much of a concern 😀

For Ahmedabad it's merely proposed coverage area. When the colour changes to Green or Yellow, that's when we have a more accurate picture of where we can/can not provide.
How much does think optic fiber cost in per meter basis? Is it cheaper than coax cable?

How much does think optic fiber cost in per meter basis? Is it cheaper than coax cable?

Depends on how much you buy and by who it was manufactured... and what type of cable it is and what the strand count is... and whether it's single mode or multi mode... and whether it's pre-terminated or not... indoor/outdoor... and plenum rated (fire-safe) with armour or just unprotected fiber... etc.

Unlike co-ax cable there are many different types of fiber which make it hard to straight out answer the question, but I've paid Rs10/m for Co-Ax cable in India and that was probably me getting ripped off, so I would say it's cheaper in a relative way, but not by actual expenditure (it's cheaper per megabit).

heard that only 400 people signed up from hyd! :xwell you should have advertised more....i mean i didn't about hayai till i registered in this forum! went to hayai page but got no registration form! :C

heard that only 400 people signed up from hyd! :x
well you should have advertised more....i mean i didn't about hayai till i registered in this forum! went to hayai page but got no registration form! :C

We haven't done ANY real advertising yet, and won't until we're ready to launch. Also, registration forms will only be available once we launch, too.

cat5e at run at near gigabit speeds although technically its not certified for it. cat6 is certified to be used for gigabit networks.the major difference is that it has a longitudinal separator which keeps each of the 4 twisted pairs separated from other thus reducing crosstalk and improving the error rate. For all practical purposes for home use cat5e is more than sufficient. the extra cost of cat6 cable won't be justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.