• Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 12,991

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
When the modem looks like a cheap Tiffin box with some weird company name Yozan printed on it, Airtel Broadband does not inspire much confidence in you. Worse things happen when you find out that normal sites like Yahoo! Mail and Hotmail are inaccessible. The service guy blames it on the switch we have to share the bandwidth to four computers. He says problem would not occur if we have a router!

The problem occurs even when I am connected to the net without the switch. Therefore, if I follow his logic, router is the magical piece of hardware, which would fix the problems with the modem! Fantastic.

Even worse, the local dude knows we are facing this problem. Every time he promises, he will be back with a fix next time. And 3 days after there is no sign of the idiot. Now he says the problem lies with Internet Explorer. f**k you mate; I do not even use Internet Explorer...

The problem is with the firmware of the modem, which is available with customers in Bangalore. They are providing me with a 256kbps line and cannot get a 1.3 Meg patch from their Bangalore office. Airtel Broadband is disgusting me badly...

Most people I know on Airtel say that it is unadvisable to use it with the DSL modem ... better spend the 100 Rs extra and rent the router.

i am ready to rent the router. idiots are not ready to give it to home connections. and i am no way going to get a commercial package just for the idiotic router.

its a lan modem. it has a web based interface. we did not get USB modems.

Interesting.I've had no problems with the USB modem when I had it.I switched to a router from the same s*** Yozan.I'm still searching for its linux compatible drivers.But its wierd to know that sushubh .I thought airtel only had adsl.Certainly didnt know about lan connections through lan.

its adsl lan modem. the difference with USB modem is that it does not need me to login and it has ethernet outputs instead of USB.

Does that mean that one cannot use his own CPE with Airtel and has to buy one from them only?Also what is the upload speed in airtel's 128 Kbps Plan?

upload and download speeds are both close to 128kbps. and well i think you can use any modem with the connection. you have to login using a username and p@$$word.

If you have the Yozan Ethernet modem and the firmware running shows "Touchtel Web Distributor II" in the web interface for the ADSL modem, then ask Airtelto downgrade the firmware to"Ethernet gateway: TERA1000S H210_ (ISOS 8.2) / He100/2xx CSP v2.3 (ISOS 8.2) [8.2.0.8]" version. This old firmware appears to be directly from Yozan and is very stable.The new Touchtel firmware at the time of writing (Feb2005) is very unstable, problems include frequent disconnections and IPSEC-VPN p@$$through is not working for DNS requests.

Didn't see this thread earlier but I am using a Netgear 824M ADSL MODEM/Wireless router that I picked up cheaply in the U.S. on my Airtel connection and it works flawlessly. I just let the modem detect all the connection settings, plugged in my name and p@$$word when requested and was up and running in a few minutes. I returned the Yozan router to Airtel and they waived the rental fee.Compared to the Yozan, this modem/router is much more stable (I rarely have to reboot, if ever, whereas the Yozan used to go down every few hours).One question though. The Yozan was running on a PPoA connection while the Netgear detected a PPOE connection. Anyone know why?