HITS to make DTH extinct

• Thread starter Thread starter warthog
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 4,992
heh. they have already forced the government to implement CAS which is turning out to be a disaster for many consumers.HITS is yet to arrive i think. i hope IPTV becomes more popular as DTH is turning out to be a disaster.

LOL, those guys dont want growth of India but just growth of their company.

----------

I am waiting for CAS in my area. I am also waiting for proper IPTV. And I must admin, I am waiting for these from atleast 2 years now.

well it is a fact that CAS, DTH were introduced in the market not to give consumer the choice as it was claimed... but to ensure that the profits are not pocketed by cable operators but by the broadcasters.DTH customers now pay per television. They pay for unwanted channels. They do not get the channels they want. They are forced to take packages offered to them. there is no flexibility. even worse, most companies have faulty billing mechanisms.

I dont care who gets the profit in case of CAS if i can reduce my monthly expense by atleast 100Rs.

that sounds like an improbable scenario. the funny thing is that airtel iptv is turning out to be a cheaper deal compared to dth and cable at my place. but then i do not get Real or WB on Airtel. Both channels are being shown by the cable guy.

I dont watch TV regularly, but will be watching some English movies, cricket, F1, News and regional channels once in a while. Though I dont watch it regularly, not ready to loose those channels which I watch once in a while, and hence paying on a monthly basis. I will be happy if they can introduce a system where I will be metered on how much I use, say duration I watch TV. Isnt it logical?

😀 now thats asking too much. All STB will then have to have meters as well.

No.. that is actually my idea (i posted same thing few months ago in some other posts).

Does your mobile have a meter? NO, but still it traces how much did you talk, right?

Same thing - they can of switch it off if you dont pay renewal fees of the package, they can do whole lotta things there (think, if you make a CMS website and give lots of admin control to your clients, this DTH is the big thing and how much control they would have?)

They can do all these things, they even have the records which smart card is using how much of tv viewing (broadcasting feeds from their company).

It is easy for them (but they wont do as they know it will be big loss for them).

What i think is they should charge only around 10paisa per 1 hour of viewing (that way, we only end up paying 2.40 Rs a day even if we keep their STB switch on for 24 hours a day and monthly, only around 2.40 x 31 = 74.40 Rs Only) 🙂

Because in anyway they are going to keep their prices increasing so they can later after a year or so, increase it to 20 paise per hour and can double up their huge profits 🙂

-----------------------------------------------------

this is my #1000 post 🙂 lol

----------

:rofl:

Mobile is 2way communication and peer to peer thing.

CAS/DTH is broadcast based technology. You cant trace who is watching waht and for how many hrs a month.

IPTV is peer to peer technology so it cud be possible with IPTV.

But metering wont be possible with DTH (cud be possible with CAS if they switch to IPTV type technology over cable wire)

----------

Congrats on 1000, btw!

Its possible with CAS, as its also a two way technology (as per my limited knowledge). I think I have read about some plan where the cable company monitors what the viewer watches and give the viewrship ratings.

no currently CAS cant be two way because reverse signals need boost/amplification (just like switches in case of LAN networks), so it will need huge investment from cable operator. its not that its impossible though.

There are many technological innovations which are not successful in the market.HITS and IPTV have been talked about for ages and have not made any significant impact in any country. I think tech-savvy dudes may go for iptv; most of the foreign friends I have have either cable or dth. I am willing to review my opinion if contrary evidence is found.

Guys, you all would be very techie and genius but let me ask a question-Peer to peer - ok, dth is not peer to peer, agree but cant it be two way?We are from here STB and Dish on terrace sends request to the satellite and satellite responds back with feeds - according to what channels and package we paid for.DTH companies' control room is the main hub in control which have all the data (such as who has paid for what package, who didnt pay, who didnt renew, who is watching after due date so that they can shuts down and sends a message to renew to pay further, who is keeping STB switch on so that it updates automatically if they upgrade their softwares, now if STB is ON their software should be upgrade, if not ON it should ask to upgrade next time when we switch it ON, and if we switch ON they know that its ON now and if we switch it OFF they know this particular smart# STB has been turned OFF - thats all - automated system also notes down when you turned on and off everyday, every week, every month)

If such small size dishes costing hardly 500Rs can send signals way beyond earths atmosphere then why wud they setup such huge dishes at DTH broadcasting center on earth?

Roughly, DTH works based on public and private key which are set on card. The signals are encrypted based on private key, channel, and other factors. You can decrypt channel only when u have proper public key set on card.

DTH operators have one KU band transponder specially dedicated for this. It regularly transfer updates, new keys (for subscribers) etc which ur STB catches and updates.

Its complex technology, i cant explain every thing in detail NOR I know too much detail but u shud try to read articles on internet on how it works.

In short DTH ops can never track what you are watching, for how many hrs and from where.

Here are links which you might be interested in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_television
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_access