Useful Scripts for Automatic Nighttime Connection

zorrothefox

Hi, I thought that people might like to automate their Unlimited nighttime connections through Windows XP (not tested in Win98 ).create a new scheduled task called Connect and type in the following linerasdial "BSNL" yourusername yourpassword.(here "BSNL" is the name of your network connection. Quotes are useful if you have spaces in the connection name)create a new scheduled task called Disconnect and type in the following linerasdial "BSNL" /disconnectdo as below for all scheduled tasks:In case you do not have a password set for your Windows Login, right-click on the task, go to properties, and check the "Run only if logged on" option.(this is to stop windows from prompting for your non-existent password when starting the task).Also, in the Settings tab, check the "Wake the Computer to run this task" option.In case you have power conservation enabled, goto Control Panel -> Power Options -> Advanced Tab and uncheck the "Prompt for password when computer resumes from Standby".Now schedule Connect task for 2 am, and Disconnect task for 8 am respectively through Windows Task Scheduler(Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools ->Scheduled Tasks).Now just schedule your favourite P2P app for 2:01 am. If you want to automatically shutdown your PC at 8 am, schedule this command as shown above, for 8 amshutdown.exe -s -t 60 -c "Shutting down your PC"Enjoy!!! 😀

nice 🙂that`s what i do too.. except i used the RTC alarm in the bios to start my comp everyday at 11:55 pm (i`m on mtnl triband)schedule my internet connection to connect at 12:02 am ..and also schedule azureus and flashget to start at 12:05 am.. and i use this small utlity to forecefully shutdown my comp at 7:55 am 🙂...as i`m in the bridged mode.. i get disconnected from mtnl the moment i restart or shutdown my comp .. so need for me to schedule to disconnect..btw thanks to coolbuddy for help with bridged mode and bat files 🙂

Originally posted by zorrothefox@Mar 27 2006, 07:17 PM
Hi,
  I thought that people might like to automate their Unlimited nighttime connections through Windows XP (not tested in Win98 ).

create a new scheduled task called Connect and type in the following line
rasdial "BSNL" yourusername yourpassword.

(here "BSNL" is the name of your network connection. Quotes are useful if you have spaces in the connection name)

create a new scheduled task called Disconnect and type in the following line
rasdial "BSNL" /disconnect

do as below for all scheduled tasks:

In case you do not have a password set for your Windows Login, right-click on the task, go to properties, and check the "Run only if logged on" option.(this is to stop windows from prompting for your non-existent password when starting the task).

Also, in the Settings tab, check the "Wake the Computer to run this task" option.

In case you have power conservation enabled, goto Control Panel -> Power Options -> Advanced Tab and uncheck the "Prompt for password when computer resumes from Standby".

Now schedule Connect task for 2 am, and Disconnect task for 8 am respectively through Windows Task Scheduler(Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools ->Scheduled Tasks).

Now just schedule your favourite P2P app for 2:01 am.

If you want to automatically shutdown your PC at 8 am, schedule this command  as shown above, for 8 am

shutdown.exe -s -t 60 -c "Shutting down your PC"

Enjoy!!! 😀
[snapback]46022[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mr.zorrothefox,

I have a password set on my windows XP Pro PC. If I set up my PC the way you suggested, would I still need to be awake to key in the password or is there a way to circumvent this?

I mean to ask, if I want to impliment automation of my downloads, do I need to remove the password at startup or can I keep it?

Hope you could help.

Thank you.

Hi,
create a new scheduled task called Connect and type in the following line
rasdial \"BSNL\" yourusername yourpassword.

(here \"BSNL\" is the name of your network connection. Quotes are useful if you have spaces in the connection name)

create a new scheduled task called Disconnect and type in the following line
rasdial \"BSNL\" /disconnect

'RASDIAL' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

what went wrong?
im using the disconnection method mentioned here :- http

Hey there Guys, This is Subhash, here's the solution for those who are facing the errors like "'RASDIAL' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file."Some how u have changed the 'path' in System variables, hence the problem.Soln: 1.Right click on 'My Computer', open Properties->Advanced->Environment variables. 2.Now under System Variables, scroll and check if there's 'path'. If u find it just click on it and click on 'Edit' else click on 'New'. u'll get a pop up window to edit. Now u leave the name as 'path' and goto the end of the 'Variable value' column and place a semicolon (😉 and paste the following, "%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem " (excluding the double quote) and 'OK','OK','OK'Thats it.. now u run the 'rasdial' command as usual thru Schedule tasks..ENJOY! your HappyHours downloading. plz reply if u find this usefull..

i am using dataone quick usage finder to connect in night time for over a year and it works perfectly fine. it never misses the time. i matched the time of connection in dataone quick usage finder to usage portal and they are exactly the same....:irock: