MTNL 3G Jadoo User Experience in Delhi

• Thread starter Thread starter kewl_anupam
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 19,819

kewl_anupam

ISP
Airtel Broadband DTH: Tata Sky
Finally got the MTNL Trump 3G connection and recharged with the 3G trial pack card which gives me 50 MB of free surfing valid for 15 days. Although the Sanchar Haat experience was not very pleasant but 3G speeds compensate for that!At the moment 3G is not working in North and North-West Delhi, but you get access to 3G networks when you're in South and Central. MTNL has a special helpline and these guys helped me with the settings; which only involves setting up of an APN. My phone shows a 3.5G icon while surfing, which I guess is HSDPA if I'm not wrong. Surfing is super fast but I was not able to access Youtube maybe because of some compatibility issue with my phone. Mobile TV is not available at the moment for Prepaid 3G so wasnt able to access that either. My phone battery got completely drained after a few hours, half of its regular standby time(with some usage). Waiting for them to extend the network to other areas and give us Mobile TV and of course better customer service and tech support. All in all, not a bad start- Feels nice to finally experience something so widely discussed!

Finally got the MTNL Trump 3G connection and recharged with the 3G trial pack card which gives me 50 MB of free surfing valid for 15 days. Although the Sanchar Haat experience was not very pleasant but 3G speeds compensate for that!
At the moment 3G is not working in North and North-West Delhi, but you get access to 3G networks when you're in South and Central. MTNL has a special helpline and these guys helped me with the settings; which only involves setting up of an APN. My phone shows a 3.5G icon while surfing, which I guess is HSDPA if I'm not wrong.

Surfing is super fast but I was not able to access Youtube maybe because of some compatibility issue with my phone. Mobile TV is not available at the moment for Prepaid 3G so wasnt able to access that either. My phone battery got completely drained after a few hours, half of its regular standby time(with some usage). Waiting for them to extend the network to other areas and give us Mobile TV and of course better customer service and tech support. All in all, not a bad start- Feels nice to finally experience something so widely discussed!

Hi what phone are you using with the 3G connection and what kind of utility do you have for the 3G internet. Dont you think it is a little overpriced for the things one needs to do with high speed internet like maybe watching videos streaming Internet Radio/Music. Or using google maps/ Gps Applicatons.

I mean 50mb for 15 days. 50mb will be done in a day if you are a regular internet user.

MTNL got the spectrum in August, 2008. In over 10 months they are still to complete the rollout of their network in areas of Delhi where 99% of the population lives. MTNL 3G still doesn't work at any place other than Connaught Place In Delhi. I went to Karol Bagh exchange last week and asked for 3G prepaid SIM. The babus there were totally blank and didn't know what 3G is. Some of them told me to take MTNL Jeevansathi prepaid SIM instead. One told me that Garuda SIMs are no longer available. Apparently they were not aware of the difference between normal GSM SIM, a CDMA SIM and a 3G service SIM.

Well I'm using it on my secondary phone- Nokia 5320 XpressMusic..Wish I could use it on my iPhone 3G (which is locked to Vodafone :-( )..Well I think the usage charges are pretty ok and at par with other providers' services.The trial pack does not give you good value but you can go for the Rs.250 and 450 packs which give you 200 and 500 MB usage, respectively. Vodafone charges Rs 499 for the iPhone data plan and gives 250MB usage.Even if you use Vodafone Mobile Connect, you get 500 MB usage when you pay 499 bucks and thats for slow EDGE networks.I have not tried connecting ma phone to the PC for net usage but mobile youtube was fast.The 3G SIM is only available at select Sanchar Haats..Try CGO Complex or C.P{Jeevan Tara and Eastern Court}..I went to Jor Bagh as MTNL had listed it in the Ad but the SIMs were not available there.Yea the staff has no clue about anything and they have that I dont care a damn attitude..

if anyone is looking to use 3G for a broadband connection on PC, then Reliance EV-DO is a much cheaper deal. Using Reliance will also save customers from the good-for-nothing moron employees of MTNL.

WHAT 3G! MY CONNECTION IS NOT EVEN ACTIVATED AFTER ONE MONTH!!I purchased a 3G mobile connection (9013104002) on 24-June-09 from Sanchar Haat, Jor Bagh. However, even after a month, I find that the above mobile connection is not even activated - whenever I want to use it, gives a message “Your phone is suspended temporarily”.I had already submitted the requisite Agreement form alongwith copy of photo ID. On enquiry with the Sanchar Haat Jor Bagh, I’m informed that they’ve sent all the documents to the Idgah office. Nevertheless, I again faxed a copy of my photo ID to MTNL on 10-July-09. I also made two telephonic complaints - No. No. 10800149100709 dtd. 16-July-09 & No. 19000053200709 dtd. 20-July-09 - only thing they say is "Technical has to do it. We can only take your complaint". As if that's going to help me! After all this, there is no resolution of my complaint & my phone is still not activated, much less on 3G.It's disgusting that MTNL is promising the moon to its 3G service users (including video calling and mobile TV), but can't get its act together to at least activate the services on new connection on priority basis, much less providing 3G functionalities. Good that MTNL is searching for partners to run its 3G services - MTNL is not competent enough to run normal services, leave along 3G which thrives on providing a superior experience. MTNL should just hand over its infrastructure to private players before the whole of its customer base shifts to operators providing better (or any!) customer service. But then what would happen to MTNL's fat cows who sit on their behinds and take their salaries while not caring for the consumers one bit.STAY AWAY FROM MTNL, GUYS & GALS, TILL ITS SERVICE IS TAKEN OVER BY SOMEONE ELSE.

WHAT 3G! MY CONNECTION IS NOT EVEN ACTIVATED AFTER ONE MONTH!!

STAY AWAY FROM MTNL, GUYS & GALS, TILL ITS SERVICE IS TAKEN OVER BY SOMEONE ELSE.

Exactly my feel ings about MTNL, cant wait till Airtel starts 3G. No one's going to go for MTNL 3G again after that.

Well, Until and unless MTNL becomes competent nothing is going to work for them. Just boosting about 3G won't help but it should be backed by good service. I don't understand why these sarkari people don't give any attention towards service.:wall::wall:

i think they are already working on outsourcing the service to a third party.

^^you think it's going to work? They should instead give the whole 3G thing to some competent private player instead of just giving a part of it. They have the resources like spectrum etc but lack competent man power to take great decisions.

wel yeah. i think it can work fine. mtnl would manage the network while some private player would manage sales and deliveries.

But that means that profit margin of 3rd person come in to picture and rates wud increase further by 15-20%.

MTNL Seeks Bids for Franchise Deal to Sell WiMax Services - WSJ.com

Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd. has sought initial bids from global technology firms, or their Indian units, for a franchise deal to sell its broadband wireless services based on the worldwide interoperability for microwave access, or WiMax, technology.

The deal will be on a revenue-sharing basis, Mahanagar Telephone, or MTNL, said in a notice on its Web site. The state-run telecommunications company didn't provide any financial details of the proposed contract.

----------

argh. for a while i thought it was for 3G as well. 😛

Using Reliance will also save customers from the good-for-nothing moron employees of MTNL.

But who will save the customers from the good-for-nothing moron employees of Reliance?

PS: Why have two separate threads?