BSNL Broadband: WiFi with Type IV Modem

• Thread starter Thread starter martin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 28,342

martin

Hi,I am about to get a DataOne connection with the Type IV modem and I want to share it with 4 other people in my block. So I have some questions🙁1) The Type IV modem's model name is MT841, right? Is the plugged WiFi card 11b or 11g compl.?(2) Anyone knows if the modem supports multiple WiFi users? Or just one user? (question might be stupid)(3) Anyone has experience with the range of the WiFi modem? what about indoor with appr. 3 walls between router and pc?(4) Does BSNL allow multiple users on home plans?(5) Is there a way to log the internet usage (Up/Download, usage time/date) per IP adress within the network. *rtfm..i know*Thanks for any help!cheers,Martin

No 1. depends on what card u are given (it is an external card).There just might be a possibility that u dont get the card (Happened with many).

http://vinuthomas.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3043.html

No. 2 is a go

No.3 Almost every one has droped conec. and speed droping and with three walls in b/w i doubt its ability.I use it in the open with out any thing in b/w. Iget around 25 MbPS @ 10Mtrs (Max i ve been,go further and i m outside on the road).

http://vinuthomas.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3182.html (Dropped COnnection)

http://vinuthomas.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=2466.html (The BIG ONE)

No.4 Modems are NAT devices BSNL wont have a clue on what ur doing with ur connection Share it with the entire city.

No.5 You want to monitor data transfers beyond the modem but that will not be possible b cos even you system will be beyond the modem.The data others use doesnt even come neard ur sys so u cant monitor it

The only way to do it is bring in the meter b/w the useage and the modem.So u need to put in a monitor after the modem

ModemYour PC Rest

Buddy U'r taking too much pains to get online .Internet is not all this Komply Kated

Bye the way YOU HAVE A 1 GB DATA TRNSFER LIMIT ON YOUR CONNECTION

No.3 Almost every one has droped conec. and speed droping and with three walls in b/w i doubt its ability.I use it in the open with out any thing in b/w. Iget around 25 MbPS @ 10Mtrs (Max i ve been,go further and i m outside on the road).[/b]
Really?? Is the WiFi card a 802.11b or g? Stinky BSNL...with a proper WiFi router one should have at least 25m indoor. *beingpissedof*
About monitoring:
No.5 You want to monitor data transfers beyond the modem but that will not be possible b cos even you system will be beyond the modem.The data others use doesnt even come neard ur sys so u cant monitor it.[/b]
Yes, I know. But are there generally some statistic features in the router panel? I am asking because I share the connection with 4 other people and need this in case we exceed the Up/Download limit. A server between the modem and the computers would be cool, but this would be a cannonball on a fly in my case.
Buddy U'r taking too much pains to get online .Internet is not all this Komply Kated[/b]
I know, I know...I just don't want any surprises from BSNL, cause they won't be nice ones, I guess.

Well, thanks for your post, you helped me a lot!

Cheers,

Martin

For monitoring MT 841 does not provide you with any assistance.it ont even blok trafic to a specific ip (tried it).It does not log trafic requests and will not log any trafic details all it logs is amount of data trnsfer on the ADSL,LAN,& USB line (in packets).Which is reste when pwer is switched of.To check the total Data trnfer you can use the bsnl portal and do it but individual useage would be ?????????

But can you please explain how to connect to the internet with the type IV modem coz I am really waiting to know about this for a long time. I have a laptop and type IV modem but don't know how to connect. The LEDs in my modem are not glowing. It glows dimly at the start of the modem and then nothing... PLEASE HELP GUYS

QUOTE(martin @ Mar 12 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]44349[/snapback]
I want to share it with 4 other people in my block.
[/b]
YOU HAVE A 1 GB DATA TRNSFER LIMIT ON YOUR CONNECTION
[/b]

...something tells me this is not going to work out for very long 🙂

Hi Martin,tell me matin i am alos applying for wifi connection for 5 laptops, just wanted to know which type will be good, do they allow 5 uses, do i need to buy any router or something before they put in connection at my place. I m looking for 900+ plan.i am from bangalore

hey take a Netgear modem wifi this of about 3000/- rs thats it for wifi i have an wifi mother board i asked for that they said they don't have the equipment