Modem setup help.

• Thread starter Thread starter DrJD
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 3,795

DrJD

Hi guys,I am new to this forum.I have both Airtel 256 & BSNL 256 connections. BSNL has provided Huawei SmartAX MT882 modem & Airtel has supplied their proprietory Beetel 220bx modem. Beetel modem supports both the lines but Huawei modem does not support Airtel line. I want to use Huawei modem for both the lines instead.Can you please tell me how can I do so? Does it require some configuration changes ?Any help will be great. 🙂 Thanks.

at last theres some one like me!yes you can use both the modem for both the connection who said mt841 does not support airtel.I use it in a config like this220bxmt841usemt 841 is not just a modm it is a router.u can config the mt841 to use both the airtel and the bsnl connectionu wanna know how to do itdelete all the connection in wanand use thisBSNL1/32default route "disabled"username passworduse dnsTouch tel1/35defalut route "disabled"username passwduse dnsnow when u need to switch give in the other line and switch off the modem wait for 1-5sec and switch on

Thanks a lot for your advise, but there apppears to be little bit of confusion. You have explained me about MT 841 model of the modem, but I have MT 882. Kindly go thru' my earlier post.

I'll be highly thankful for your guidance. 🙂

ok got yehGo to wan settings and first delete all the pvc connections (pvc 0 - pvc 6 i suppose).Now add connection and use the settings i had given,you need to add two connection remember not to enable the default route.And if this does not help you then can you tell what the xct prob u r facing what makes you say "he lines but Huawei modem does not support Airtel line."

Originally posted by anirudhashish@Mar 9 2006, 12:27 AM
ok got yeh

Go to wan settings and first delete all the pvc connections   (pvc 0 - pvc 6   i suppose).Now add connection and use the settings i had given,you need to add two connection   remember not to enable the default route.

Sorry but I could not find where to change wan settings or pvc connections. My OS is XP. Could you please explain more ?

And if this does not help you then can you tell what the xct prob u r facing what makes you say

"he lines but Huawei modem does not support Airtel line."
[snapback]43992[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Let me explain, if I connect the Beetel 220bx modem to my machine, I can use Airtel line and connect to thier network OR if I connect BSNL wire, I can connect to BSNL network. The modem hardware is compatible to both the different lines.

Whereas, If I connect Huawei MT882 modem with my machine, I can only use BSNL line to connect their network. If I try to use Airtel line to connect Airtel network, I get the error msg and the connection is not established.

I in fact want to use only MT882 modem, to connect both the networks alternatively. Not the Beetel modem. I want to know how can I make my MT882 modem working on Airtel line. Hope I'm clear. 🙂

do u use a dialer or do you use pppoe (switch on\off the modem to login logoff).For the wan settings you need to loginto the modem using your modem i.p.(should be 192.168.1.1).This method should be used only if you dont use a dialer and use a pppoe connection (modm on/off for login/logoff)Bye the way all this has got nothing to do with the OS.The only diif it makes it xp has an inbuilt pppoe driver lower os need one to be instledso what do use

I use a dialer from 'network connections.'You are right, The modem ip is 192.168.1.1Now what I've to do?(I apologize, mr. anirudhashish, I'm not a technical person, therefore you are taking extra trouble. 😛 )

I tried it on my system using a mt880 from the next door it worked .Heres what i didwhen u use the modem only one of thm should be connected to the comp. (u cant have two lan cards and both modem connected this is not possible,the dialer will not know which one to use).bsnl\airtelmt880lan portit worked What you can do is try to rest the modem may the modem has been setup to use bsnl by some one (should not be the case).should be a button at the back take a pin and keep it pressed till the time it retsarts.This should do it.and when switching the lines remeber to restart the modem .If this does not work then the only option left would be to config the modem in always on mode (i.e on/off to conect disconnect)