billing weirdness

• Thread starter Thread starter kaput123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 1,786

kaput123

Hi , I am from Kolkata and currently using Dataone Home 500 plan since march 2005.At the time of application I had opted for modem rental of Rs 100p.m.However after installation of Dataone service I never saw modem rental charges in my bills but only broadband rental charges.I never saw any reason to complain 😉 but recently in march 06 my bill shows sale of broadband modem Rs 2000 with effect from 31-3-05 and now am wondering what to do. The ut-starcom 300R modem itself works fine and i dont have a problem against buying it,however i feel the sale price is too high and it is also not the one which should have come with modem rental i.e.Type 1 (whatever that is) My questions are does anybody have any idea what Type of modem this is ,what is the fair market price and if in future I decide to change services e.g. to Airtel Broadband would this modem be able to support that service.These would be the factors based on which I would decide to buy this modem and not kick up a ruckus with Calcutta Telephones.I am supposed to pay the bill in a couple of days to avoid disconnection ,any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

I think that even after buying the modem, you can return it to BSNL while surrendering your connection. I have paid (bought, not on rent) Rs. 1200 for Type I modem and BSNL people said that the modem can be returned and security deposit will be returned when I surrender the connection. You will have to show the demand note to BSNL which indicates the money paid at the time of taking connection.

Originally posted by pushkar_01@Mar 7 2006, 02:17 PM
I think that even after buying the modem, you can return it to BSNL while surrendering your connection. I have paid (bought, not on rent) Rs. 1200 for Type I modem and BSNL people said that the modem can be returned and security deposit will be returned when I surrender the connection. You will have to show the demand note to BSNL which indicates the money paid at the time of taking connection.
[snapback]43839[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply.

erm.....I dont know if you will believe this but at the time of installation I was NOT presented with a demand note,and I never had to pay any security deposit,advance rental,installation charges however I have paid broadband rental from march itself....I guess I was one of the the first subscribers of the service in calcutta and bsnl people had not managed to cover the paperwork correctly or maybe just maybe......the kind hearted people at bsnl decided to waive these charges at the time 😉
I honestly thought they had forgotten about me and the paperwork.I hope I just have to shell out Rs 1200 for this type of modem which is why I wanted to find out which type (i.e.type 1,2,3 or 4 )I have(ut-starcom ut-300R)Suppose I were to surrender the connection I would not get my security deposit back as I haven't actually paid it .I dont care so much about shelling out the dough as much as I would like to get a decent, other services compatible modem if I am forced to buy it from bsnl.