• Replies Replies 321
  • Views Views 76,175

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Mobile service providers told to offer ‘Do Not Call’ registry to their subscribers
Indian mobile customers would finely get some relief from telemarketers as the TRAI has issued a notification making it compulsory for the companies to offer ‘Do Not Call’ registry to their subscribers.
Addition to this registry would enable the mobile customers to avoid getting [...]

http://broadbandforum.co/655/do-not-call/

TRAI proposes setting up of a National-Do-Not-Call Registry

If you too hate the number of times you get calls from one of those irritating telesales people, there is some hope for us.The Telecom regulator TRAI has now proposed setting up of a National-Do-Not-Call Registry which could save us from these unsolicited phone calls.TRAI has recommended that [...]

TRAI proposes setting up of a National-Do-Not-Call Registry

National-Do-Not-Call registry to be operational this October 12 National-Do-Not-Call registry is all set to be operational starting this October 12. With this the telecom customers in India would finally be free from the spam calls from call centers offering credit cards and loans. TRAI had issued the orders for establishing this registry on June 5 this year [...]

National-Do-Not-Call registry to be operational this October 12

Telecom users will have relief soon as the National-Do-Not-Call registry -- an initiative of blocking unsolicited telemarketing calls, will be operational from October 12. The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India had issued Telecom Unsolicited Commercial Communications Regulations, 2007, on June 5. This had put in place a mechanism for curbing the unwanted telemarketing calls.
As per the available data with TRAI from the telecom service providers, more than 65 lakh subscribers have been registered in NDNC through their respective telecom service providers.
The NDNC registry is now ready and is going to be operationalised on October 12. Those subscribers who have registered before August 31, 2007 will not receive unsolicited commercial calls. The subscribers who have registered after August 31, 2007 will also get this benefit after a gap of forty-five days.
From October 12 onwards, no telemarketer will call the subscribers who are registered with NDNC. As per the Regulation, the telecom service providers have been directed
to charge Rs 500 or disconnect their lines as the case may be if any telemarketer calls such subscribers. Therefore, all the telemarketers who have registered with DoT are required to scrub their calling list from October 12 from NDNC website.
For getting the benefit of the NDNC registry, the subscriber will have to register his telephone number with his telecom service provider. The registration of subscribers for NDNC has already commenced. The Authority had issued an advertisement to this effect in the leading national dailies in the last week of August 7.
Subsequently, Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) and Association of Unified Service Provider of India (AUSPI) have also issued advertisement in the various National Dailies requesting the subscribers to register for Do Not Call Registry.
The details of call center number/SMS number on which the registration can be done are available on the websites of respective service providers.
Aircel has received over 54,959 applications, while that of BPL stood at 58,706, BSNL at 1,57,489, Bharti AirTel [Get Quote] at 30,97,974, HFCL at 28,730 and Idea at 822,387.
State-owned telecom major MTNL [Get Quote] received 43,996 applications, while that of Reliance [Get Quote] stood at 2,01,162, Spice at 1,03,447, Tata Teleservices [Get Quote] at 3,32,609 and Vodafone received 16,19,863 applications.

Source: Do-Not-Call registry active from Oct 12

I hold a BSNL Post Paid connection and registered with DO NOT CALL Registry way back around Oct. 07. I still get lot of promotional calls especially from ICICI. Is our DNC Registry functional and if so how can I make a complaint?

Here in Mumbai, most banks and Loan offers have stopped bugging me after I registered for DNC with HSBC,HDFC,ICICI and Vodafone ofcourse ........ but BARCLAYS still continues to bug the hell out of me

There is a company called 'Bajaj' (i doubt its that famous Bajaj company) it keeps calling 2-3 times a month. Sometimes i get 3 calls in a day itself.when i told lady, "why do u keep calling again and again?"so she argued back, "muje thodi pata hain kisi aur ne bhi call kiya tha!"what non-sense.

Dude same B**CH called me too about 4 months ago on the LANDLINE and gave me the same BS-"muje thodi pata hain kisi aur ne bhi call kiya tha!",The same Bajaj Company(some Insurance company); and the bloody EXACT same words !!!!Dont worry, they call everyone for about a month and then move to bugging people in another area, so someone else suffers in ur place.....Mausam jaldi Badlega !!

Mobile companies to be fined up to Rs 20,000 for pesky calls: TRAI
21 Apr, 2008

NEW DELHI: To curb pesky calls, telecom regulator TRAI has introduced a financial disincentive scheme under which the mobile service providers would be fined up to Rs 20,000 for unsolicited calls.

"To protect consumers from pesky calls, a financial disincentive scheme has been introduced. On first such call, the service provider would be imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 and the penalty would increase gradually thereafter," TRAI's informed the Delhi High Court.

However, the fine would not exceed the limit of Rs 20,000 per call, the telecom watchdog said.

The regulator's response came after a bench of Justice Manmohan Sarin and Justice Manmohan expressed dissatisfaction with the present system and observed that such calls are still to those registered with the National Do Not Call Registry (NDNC).

The court also directed TRAI to file its reply on what steps it has taken to prevent unsolicited calls made by telemarketers.

"File a note on what steps you have taken so far to curb unsolicited or unwanted calls," the court said.

The bench was hearing a petition filed by Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) and TRAI challenging the Delhi State Consumer Court's order slapping a fine of Rs 50 lakh on operator Airtel and the COAI for their "failure" to stop "unnerving unsolicited" calls by telemarketing and banking companies to mobile subscribers.

COAI counsel submitted that we have put in place National Do Not Call Registry (NDNC) to check such calls. However, one Nivedita Sharma, who had approached the consumer court, countered the contention saying that the scheme has failed as such calls are being still made by telemarketers despite getting registered with NDNC.

Mobile companies to be fined up to Rs 20,000 for pesky calls: TRAI- Telecom-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

by d way this 20,000 goes to whom??customers or government...??im worried weather these telecom company wud hike the call rates to recover the money for what they lost to TRAI.

they would probably get a stay order. every instance would go in court. nothing would come out of it. its a useless exercise from TRAI.TRAI should instead work on getting the service providers to offer a Anti Spam Call service for free. Vodafone offers a service like this but charges for it. They even spam you with messages like: anchahi calls se pareshaan?This would solve the problem for most of the people who are being bothered by spam calls.

It shud be like this:If say 20 ppl complain abt an unwanted call from some number, then that number go in to monitor list where authorized person can monitor next few calls originating from that number and verify and then completely block that number. call records can then be used as proof for imposing fine.