• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 48
  • Views Views 8,353

ogtripleog

Regular
ISP
Dataone
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5844071.html

guys check out this link.. i think it means that i cant copy a dvd i bought legally..

One of the biggest changes in Vista is a technology called \"Protected Video Path.\" This will essentially keep video streams encrypted and inaccessible as video is being sent from a DVD (or other copy-protected source) to the monitor, TV or other display. The operating system will also check what the computer is connected to (a monitor, a TV, and so on), do another check to make sure the device really is what it says it is, and then see what kind of plug, or output mechanism, is being used to connect the computer to the device.
[/b]

reading the above it sheds come light on why windows gets so bloated with every release lol i guess installing vista would mean that i loose the small amount of freedom to do wat i want wid it that i have left on xp 😛 and also wouldnt my computer checking all the devices connected to my computer like the above says i dunno use a lot of system resources

don't worry. the television sets you would buy in future are going to incorporate similar DRM technologies which would preventing you from recording stuff which the telecasting companies don't want you to record. future is going to be very restrictive. and i hate this...

Dude, anti-piracy?They're talking of HDCP!!!!!!!!Dont worry, your VCDs, DVDs, DiVX, and whatever other current formats exist, wont come under it, not gonna get affected.HDCP applies only to the newer formats currently in development - Blu-ray Disc, HD-DVD....

and how long could u avoid these new formats? what about when digital tvs become a reality in india? in US the new standards become compulsory from 2009 i believe. india, give or take another 2-3 years.

Originally posted by Bhinder@Feb 26 2006, 11:30 PM
guys check out this link.. i think it means that i cant copy a dvd i bought legally..
[snapback]42983[/snapback]
[/quote]

Has anyone installed current pre-release of Vista?

Mybe this is one of the features that did not make it to final version.

Vista 5308. It does implement HDCP.I dunno what all of you are thinking, but its not quite as scary as it sounds.Also, this is not MS's idea of forcing users - hollywood studios breathed down their neck to implement this in the next windows version.

I'm not.Atleast as long as I'm in India 😉our country is a comfortable 10 years behind the rest of the world, at the least.Moreover, most of the NEW middle class is just about buying their TV sets now.And the salaried class is beginning to notice that they can afford large-screen TVs.In both cases, they buy it on loans that will last 6 months to 1 year of payment. And thereafter, they expect to enjoy the TV for 5-6 years MINIMUM.Such being the case, there's no way you can force them to get new TVs.If you're aware, you'd know that the really dedicated cable TV maniacs are all in the middle-class & the urban slums.... Where the cable operator has to bow to their demands.Ever wondered why CAS (set-top boxes) are not used by 99% of the cable customers in India, despite the rest of the world using it since ages?

Guys, no matter what kind of restrictions they put, piracy will find its own way !!!! 🙂 🙂

10? Our country is well 50 or more years behind 😉 Besides, I wont worry about M$ or anyone. I use Linux and I am sure that the Linux community will circumvent these restrictive practices too. Freedom is something I love and thats why I love Linux 🙂

Im pretty damn sure,itll be cracked in no time. (i already read hdcp is already on the process of being cracked,some say cracked,cant confirm)

im not touching vista with a ten foot barge pole let alone installing it on my computer lol prathapml u say hollywood breathed down microsofts neck i say they paid them money as in bribe money somehow i cant imagine some other company forcing MS's hand lol anyway the point is that i paid good money for my computer and i have a right to use it in anyway i choose to.. im not letting microsoft dictate wat they gonna let me do with it.. im sticking with linux and a dual boot with windows for gaming...

Seems its of no use. Got some links off Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

This is weak encrption. It has weak points that can be used to:

* Eavesdrop on any data
    * Clone any device with only their public key
    * Avoid any blacklist on devices
    * Create new device keyvectors.
    * In aggregate, we can usurp the authority completely. [/b]

And a device is already in market to do just that http://www.engadget.com/2005/07/21/the-cli...iny-red-button/

Everyone said they wont touch XP with a ten foot barge pole.Everyone is now on XP.'nuff said 😛