• Thread starter Thread starter ogtripleog
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 2,985

ogtripleog

Regular
ISP
Dataone
guys sick of sify im finally planning to get dataone.. however i have read some conflicting opinions from dataone users.. there is this group who is really pleased with it and then still another thats had some bad experience.. i understand that this is the case with almost every isp but could someone please clarify these two issues : 1) the uptime - the reason that i am shifting to dataone from sify is bec of frequent downtime.. now the connection not working at the promised speed that i can handle.. downtime i cannot.. ive just faced three days of downtime and reached my limit... :angry: 2) there have been some issues abt inflated bills recieved by various users.. have any of you faced that problem? is the dataone system for counting the download data used accurate and reliable? cause i really dont look forward to recieving an inflated bill.. say wat u want abt sify bt atleast its prepay.. 😛 dont know abt u guys but reduction of a day in validity sounds better than having to pay hardearned $ loland thirdly which modem would u guys recommend.. i need one that would work reliably with linux.. thanks in advance 🙄

Data limits of BSNL include both uploads and downloads. For example 1GB limit for Home 500 is not yor download limit but sum of your downloads and uploads.Also BSNL being ADSL offers 256Kbps downspeed and 64Kbps upspeed, very sick if you are a frequent uploader.I have not received inflated bills myself,but there have been cases when such a problem has occured. But this is rare.I would also like to mention that cc of BSNL sucks. I got my modem installed 13 days after I applied for the connection.I use ubuntu 4.10, i guess any modem should work. Mine is Huawei MT880 and it works fine.

ur place still dont have airtel? surprises me. wait for a month coz maybe bsnl would be out with unlimited plans.

thanks for the reply raptor.. wat abt the uptime? have u faced ne issues wid downtime.. does the connection stop working for u sometimes as in sify?no airtel still aint out.. its out in mohali 🙁 guess pkl is the worst place on the planet

bsnl is 24x7 good service till now.No down times. modem given by them is huaweiwa1003a or mtx882 . better to get these modems from them . don't expect much helpfrom them . once u got ur connection working , it is good !

I'm surprised. Airtel not availble in pkl? Its available in almost all the cities of Punjab now. It's available in Mohali, Ludhiana, Jalandhar and Amritsar as well.Dataone pros-1. Promised Speed. I get 30+ kBps on my 256 kbps line. Airtel speeds are less than promised.2. Almost nil downtime. I've been using it for almost 8 months now and there hasnt been even a single downtime since last 5 months or so. Downtime is high in Sify and its quite low in Airtel and DataOne.3. Flat rate, no hidden cost. But then there were some cases in which ppl have been ridiculously billed but thankfully my bills are still OK.Cons-1. Data limit, which will eventually increase next month.2. I've heard it has poor customer care. It's not 24*7. When I am free, they get back home and no one picks up the phone. Even if I call during daytime, mostly the phone isnt picked and even if it is picked up some lady who's technically challenged speaks up. So I've stopped calling her and now I also have phone numbers of other technical people here in my city. So I call them directly. They dont know much either but then no one can help you with it. 😛 PS: I am also checking DataOne for another month and if they dont get some better plans, I am moving to Airtel for sure. I just came to know that my modem (MT 880) also works with Airtel. :lol:

another idiotic question...

Originally posted by Positron@Feb 27 2006, 12:16 AM
1. Data limit, which will eventually increase next month.
[snapback]42993[/snapback]
[/quote]

Will?

not really. you can never be sure about anything when it comes to BSNL.

who said data one limit will increase next month all i know is some one juststarted athread somwhere saying this and every one is made it news

someone got it in a mail reply from BSNL than he posted it on a blog which was mentioned on this forum.

rofl come on u ppl... he's a moderator tux21 surefire way to get banned.. lol anyway i know airtel is out in most of the cities in punjab just not in pkl thats it im switching to bsnl next month.. gonna wait to see if they release new plans... everyones saying that theyre gonna so might as well wait it out.. thanks for all the replies guys.. they really helped a lot

Originally posted by tux21@Feb 27 2006, 12:33 AM
will airtel bb work with bsnl landline connection ?

also when do new plans come ?
[snapback]42996[/snapback]
[/quote]

with the technical know how and infra it is possible but why do you think will bsnl provide its infrstructure to competition.

also the channels in the line used by bsnl are different than those used by airtel bein1/32 & 0/35 so the bsnl lines are open only to 0/35 which is default to all the modems they are using where as if u know abt airtel u will notice that the installation guy has to make a new connection 1/32 .

can u watch Zee NEWS's programs on Star news

Bhinder ....my boy if you are planning to take Dataone ...then i advice you to tae it after Mar 31 many plans will change after that date.(this is for sure ....remember the budget is here)