• Thread starter Thread starter uthfull
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 3,057

uthfull

Uthfull.org
ISP
Aitel U/L 512kbps
I can't figure out how to install freebsd on my system.

it was easier ins linux.

the fdisk partitioner realy doesnt help.

i got four partitions, C, /, E, F.
/ has ubuntu installed.
C has XP.

Now how do i go bout selecting the correct part in fdisk in the freebsd installation.

Here is a sketch of my system.
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4730/image17tk.jpg
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3388/image21jd.jpg

I want to install it over Linux.

If you take my advice, install FreeBSD in an emulator. Its a freakin' devlish system which destroyed all my harddisks. Only a complete format and reinstall of all disks got my computer working back to normal. Just a friendly warning 😉

Someone just told me that freeBSD is sucky... is dat true. He said linux is way way way better.So shud I try it?? And which emulator shud I try... ne free ones?

Originally posted by uthfull@Feb 13 2006, 08:57 PM
Someone just told me that freeBSD is sucky... is dat true. He said linux is way way way better.
So shud I try it?? And which emulator shud I try... ne free ones?
[snapback]42035[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you are not in IT, then FreBSD sucks.. but it is closer to Unix roots then Linux so its good learning exercise.

You can use VMWare it has a free version (VMWare Player).

Originally posted by uthfull@Feb 13 2006, 09:00 PM
one more thing... how is Solaris?
[snapback]42036[/snapback]
[/quote]

Again do not expect your Video / Audio to work. It is not a strength of Solaris. But if you want to learn Unix then it is useful.

Originally posted by uthfull@Feb 13 2006, 08:57 PM
Someone just told me that freeBSD is sucky... is dat true. He said linux is way way way better.[snapback]42035[/snapback]
[/quote]I would say the reality is the exact opposite.

u mean freebsd is better??!!damn i hve the cds but cant figure out how to install the damn os. even in vmware it was so damn confusing that i had 2 give up.they need to make the installation easier... no0bs like me can't figure a thing out!! 😛

*BSD is not for newbies. Even experienced users get burnt which is true for all softwares but more so for *BSD. Use VMWare if you're on windoze or use Qemu / Xen if you're on GNU/Linux.And I would like to clarify here that *BSD doesnt "suck" in the conventional way. It sucks for the lack of hardware support. It sucks for the lack of end user usability. But its a pretty good server OS.