• Thread starter Thread starter scott274
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 3,590

scott274

BBF Noob
ISP
MTNL Triband
Yesterday I went to buy a 160 GB IDE Western Digital Harddisk (internal) in lamington road mumbai (Mccann Infosys). They didn't have any stock at that time so I will be buying on monday instead.My query here is, don't WD internal harddisks come in any original company box cover (with internal packing etc). The shopkeeper showed me some of the stored harddisks and all of them were in some kind of plastic like covers (sealed probably but not sure). I had heard that internal harddisks are bit sensitive and can be damaged even by a fall from a short height. So I thought they would come in boxes but the shopkeeper told me only external harddisks come in box covers and internal don't. Now Mccann is one of the more famous shops in lamington road, so should I just believe him and go ahead with my buying plan.And don't we get any guarantee/warranty card etc alongwith the purchased WD internal harddisk? The shopkeeper told me that the purchase bill and the model number is all that is needed while claiming the five year guarantee at any WD service center.One last thing, do we usually get the 80 pin connector cable etc along with the harddisk or will I have to buy these things separately. Please advise what other things should I ask for/buy along with the harddisk.

all the external hdd i have seen in the past couple of years have been in the same plastic shell...they are pretty safe unless the package is abused badly.and yeah, proper bill is the document you need for warranty purposes. here in gurgaon,. the dealer signs with the date for warranty purposes in addition to the bill.

that plastic cover is called a "anti static bag" which is normal for these HDD to come in. keep the receipt safe because that is all you need to claim for your warranty and re-confirm the warranty because most wd are 3 year, only high end one's are 5 years....that 80 pin cable is called an IDE cable and that needs to be purchased seprately which is dirt cheap...

you might not need to get the extra IDE cable. your cabinet might already have an extra slot... depending upon how the PC was assembled originally.

My current old 80 GB samsung hard disk has an IDE cable but it's 4+ years old now. Well if the cable is damn cheap then I might buy a new one for the new hard disk otherwise just use the old cable I have.

.... and re-confirm the warranty because most wd are 3 year, only high end one's are 5 years
Is there any way to confirm right now what is the warranty for 160 GB IDE Western Digital.
I told the shopkeeper that it was 5 years. Initially he said that the warranty on IDE WD hard disks was just 3 years and I will have to go for Seagate (which are slightly expensive) if I wanted 5 years. But then he quickly asked another employee there in the shop and he said the warrant was 5 years.

And one more thing I wanted to ask was; once I buy a new hard disk, I will be installing the new one with master jumper setting and my old Samsung disk with slave jumper settings (with middle socket of IDE cable). Now what I want to know is will I need an SMPS power connection for each of the master and slave hard disks or just for the master hard disk will do. It's just that I am looking inside my PC cabinet right now and I can't see any extra power connector.
The CD drive is having one, current hard disk one, cabinet fan has one, floppy drive has another small power connection and the rest to the motherboard. What to do now??

80 wire IDE cable cost abt 20Rs only. "cable select" is best way for jumper and master/slave is decided based on if HDD is attached to center or end slot of cable.normal SMPS have 3-4 power cables for CD/HDD, i dont know why urs has just 2. u will need power connection for each CD/HDD. power cable for FDD looks different.

yup you will mostly be having a power cable. usually theres just more than 2.you can check warranty for WD from their website.