Want to clear some things about IPTV before get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys, this is confirmed news now !

Called up IOL head office - a security officer revealed that they are officially closed for about 3-4 months now & would probably start their operation from mid April - probably 15th April.

Now the reason i called them is because some from BSNL IPTV called my landline for some kind of a query when i was not at home, then later yesterday - On Sunday ! some one from MY WAY called me up & explained that since IOL isn't functioning properly in Banaglore they have taken over to provide IPTV services & offered me a 3 month free subscription on trial basis at no charges - that too with 140 TV channels + 10 VOD with 10 movies free/month & after that if i decide to continue then i'll have to pay Rs.2500 for STB & then subscription charges/month depending upon the package i choose.

Now when i asked him about the money i already paid to BSNL when taking IOL's IPTV - they said that i would have to contact BSNL to discuss the same & they could't do much on it.

NOW GUYS WHO HAVE IOL's IPTV IN BANGALORE - HOW MUCH DID THEY CHARGE US FOR THIS CONNECTION, THERE WAS NO MONTHLY CHARGES BECAUSE THE SERVICE WAS NEVER LAUNCHED FULLY BUT I'M SURE I PAID Rs.899 or something for installation & had to purchase a WiFi - 4 port router for Rs.2000 becuase i had 2 computers & plus for the STB aswell - all of this came in my BSNL bill but i'm not able to recall the excat charges:huh:
With all of the above information i'll contact BSNL for a refund or probably file a case against them for all the inconvinence caused & their ignorance to customer queries as ever before😕

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

Looks like we are deviating from the topic, now @MANN dude all of the issues discussed here are for BSNL IPTV in banaglore - otherwise IPTV elsewhere in india works fine as far as i know.

Now based on my experience:

1. is set-top box will connect through splitter or through modem.
STB Is connected directly to the modem/router - one of the ports on the router is mapped to PPoE 0/100 & you can connect STB to that port only ! - from my experince IPTV doesn't work when you connect it to any other port & internet doesn't work in IPTV(0/100? port) - all the other ports be default are PPoE 0/35. now this could be the way it's configured in my router.

2. if it got connected through modem will pc also need to be on to watch tv.
No, IPTV is as of now can only be accessed using STB - they have somekind of encryption. but when IOL's engineer came to my house for installation he was able to access IPTV on his laptop using VLC but ofcourse he wouldn't reveal how it was possible. IPTV from what i know is broadcasted on a different channel from that of internet atleast in case of BSNL IPTV provided by IOL - i'm getting shifted to MY WAY servies soon & probably will give more clarifications then.

3. will i get all 120 channels.
Yes, techincally IPTV can support upto 1000 channels or more - depends on the service provider.

4. is A/V quality is good. video will stuck (like we watch videos on youtube) or not.
AV quality is pretty good - i also have Tata Sky+ DTH service on component connect to my 32' LCD TV & the IPTV reception is as good as that of Sky+ services & probably even better becuase basically the bandwidth is much more. but when i connect my old normal TATA Sky STB to the same TV on A/V the reception was pathetic !

5. bill of iptv comes separately or with phone bill.
Atleast in Banaglore - for BSNL IPTV by IOL - Phone/BB/IPTV is all in the same bill

6. will i am able to watch tv on pc without tv tuner card. if yes then how? if no then what to do?
No, not as yet. But like i said in Answer 1 & 2: It's possible but we need to either decrypt the signals somehow or find an alternate solution.

Now to conclude this - after careful consideration IPTV has always been my 1st choice when it comes to TV services - Simply because the possiblities in this technologies are endless because of the availability of bandwidth & low cost implementation/maintanace.
Features like HDTV/Interactive services are far better in IPTV than DTH/local cable.
Not to forget dream feature like.
Live pause - of all channels, not as in DVR service where the TV is recorded first & then can be watched later. I'm talking about a feature in which all the programs of a particular channels are recorded by ISP & can be viewer later by subscribers, at present Airtel or Reliance IPTV has this feature for about 25 channels & you can watch programs broadcasted upto 7 days ago whenever you want.
Movies/Video on Demand - In IPTV on demand servies are much better than DTH - DTH offers a limited number of movies, maybe 5-10 over a specified period of time & the viewer can choose it watch it for a fee depending upon the Genere. But in IPTV you would have about 200+ movies at present & a lot of music videos - ON DEMAND whenever you want - you can pause/forward/rewind the movie whenever you want. The number of movies that can be hosted like this in IPTV technology is endless !

Now you decide if IPTV or other platforms are better

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Phew....that's a long one. Now i guess no one will be surprised that i'll probably shift to IPTV after 3 months trail inspite of having TATA SKY+ service with ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION, paid 5k for 1 YR subscription alone & then about 5k more for STB. & it's just about 1-2 months old.

In addition to what i said earlier:
But after having said all of these there is one thing about IPTV that we need to be worried about - The quality of the service as maintained by ISP. If the distance from the nearest exchange to your house is greater than 3Km user seemed to have faced problems such as freezing, issues connecting to the service itself etc. Basically all that matters for IPTV is the SNR(Signal noise ratio) & if the SNR is greater than 15-20 then IPTV should work just fine !
Good post.. although they still dont provide channels like espn,star sports etc .. One sad thing about DTH and iptv service is this package deal. Especially when it comes to cricket , almost each and every cricket series is telecasted in different channels and with this package deal you sometimes might not have the channel in the package which telecasts the match. that can get very irritating. i took iptv because in the beginning it was a 150rs deal for 150 channels.. now even these people have started off with packages.
Atleast regular cable service people ensures that you are able to watch every match somehow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.