Bill Gates defends decision

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
Microsoft CEO Bill Gates has somewhat lend his support to Google’s decision to bow down to Chinese government’s policies to get their Chinese version of search engine online. Gates said that the technology companies should not be criticized for accepting conditions laid down by China related to restricting open access to content available on politically sensitive nature.

More: https://techwhack.co/3066/bill-gates-defends-policies/

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
Will the FSF and OSS bow down to these Chinese? NEVER! We pride FREEDOM! :D

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
it's all about money honey... OSS is about... umm... innovation i guess.

netfreak

Regulars
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
OSS is about satisfying someone's personal itch. Nowadays OSS is about making money too :(

prathapml

Mjölnir
Regulars
Aug 27, 2004
Bangalore
Originally posted by Sushubh@Feb 1 2006, 10:29 PM
OSS is about... umm... innovation i guess.[snapback]41107[/snapback]
[/quote]What innovation you talkin about?
The freedom to innovate the same things windows & office have had for yours? Can it be classified innovation at all?

Personally, I feel OSS is in a sad state. Since the last few years, the focus has been on desktop linux catching up with windows - meaning little or no FRESH ideas since a long time.

Sushubh

Administrator
[OP]
Oct 29, 2004
Gurugram
the ability to pay nothing for running a computer is innovative enough ;)

prathapml

Mjölnir
Regulars
Aug 27, 2004
Bangalore
There you go again with "free" as in beer, instead of free as in "freedom".You can charge a billion dollars & still be OSS.... Need not necessarily come at no cost.

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
i like my freedom to use, i like my freedom to modify, i like my freedom to distribute! I dont like crappy winbloze popups saying that I dont have this enabled or that enabled! STFU n00b computer! I am your master! You obey me! You dont tell me what to do! I made you and NOT the other way round. *I* tell YOU what to do! :)Still Windoze anyone?

prathapml

Mjölnir
Regulars
Aug 27, 2004
Bangalore
While I agree with your pro-freedom stance, I don't see why you always take it to mean anti-windows. It need not be. Entities that are based on NOT being something, cant survive long. Chill on the anti-windows, dont bother about them, just concentrate on improving linux!(and yeah, regardless of what linux fans say, its true that even linux is not the perfect OS, there's plenty of work on it left to do yet)

aniketvb

Linuxguy
Regulars
Oct 2, 2005
That way even Windoze ( or is it Winbloze!!) is lightyears away from being perfect!!I cant use XP at home without the constant fear of being infected or my PC crashing when i am in middle of some critical work.Just to tell my experience , I was working on project using VB 6.0 and XP hung and had to be hard reset , after we had modifies about 300 lines of code!! :angry: