MTNL Broadband: Schedule Internet connection

• Thread starter Thread starter stonekeeper
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 10,006

stonekeeper

Hi guys
Gone throw this wonderful forum found some really interesting ideas to schedule internet connection for NU plane.
Here is one more. very easy method.
Go to Microsoft site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q311272
Download the DevCon package( 77 kb).
Extract files and find I386\DevCon.exe
This is small utility which is command line interface to windows device manager.
Now u can enable disable or reboot your Ethernet card from command prompt !
Go to command promt and browse to extracted file and then type
devcon.exe disable =Net to disconnect from internet ( Need admin rights)
then type
devcon.exe enable =Net to connect to Internet again
alternatively you can use command devcon restart =Net to restart network connection.
So done just create batch file with above command and schedule it with task scheduler

If you are facing internet disconnection at night just schedule devcon enable =Net at regular intervals so if by chance internet is disconnected you can connect it again.
😀

dammn, ur good at this auto-disconnect stuff....we know u rock! (no pun intented) 🙂

Hi stonekeeper, what if you have multiple NICs?What will change, will all NICs get disabled, or only one, Will it still work the same way?

In Windows, if you've configured your router to use Bridged mode, you can simply use the inbuilt 'rasdial' utility to connect and disconnect from a batch file, script, or scheduled task.Very simple, there's nothing to it, really. 😛

Originally posted by mario_a@Jan 27 2006, 02:53 AM
In Windows, if you've configured your router to use Bridged mode, you can simply use the inbuilt 'rasdial' utility to connect and disconnect from a batch file, script, or scheduled task.

Very simple, there's nothing to it, really.  😛
[snapback]40595[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just like I m doing for past 6-7 months B)

Originally posted by osinghrathore@Jan 30 2006, 10:19 PM
Just like I m doing for past 6-7 months B)
[snapback]40896[/snapback]
[/quote]

You are da man, dude ! 😀

Inspite of all that automation, the biggest prob faced is that if ur router is not OFF, MTNL assumes that ur still connected to the n/w.... I faced problem wit it.... Hence m bk to my old ways.... Put an alarm to get up everyday at 7:45 am, disconnect the router and go bk to sleep 😀Kabhi Kabhi all automation dus not wrk... Man must return to his old ways... 🙂

Originally posted by rastapopulus+-->QUOTE(rastapopulus)
Inspite of all that automation, the biggest prob faced is that if ur router is not OFF, MTNL assumes that ur still connected to the n/w.... I faced problem wit it[/b]
If your router is on, you are connected to the MTNL network (which means the green ADSL light on your router will be lit up), but that does not necessarily mean you are connected to the internet.

I have been using the automated method with bridged mode for more than a month now, with no problems whatsoever. I have never been billed for overnight usage, so far. The key is to disconnect just after 12 AM, and just before 8 AM everyday.

Originally posted by rastapopulus@
Put an alarm to get up everyday at 7:45 am, disconnect the router and go bk to sleep
Dude, you need to learn how to get your computer to get your work done for you, and get some sleep 😛

Exactly, Computers should work for us rather than we working for computers.All automation works if one knows how to use it...

Originally posted by rastapopulus@Feb 4 2006, 11:53 AM
Inspite of all that automation, the biggest prob faced is that if ur router is not OFF, MTNL assumes that ur still connected to the n/w....

If u r using PPPoE/PPPoA mode then its not assumption of MTNL, u r infact online and connected to net.

... Man must return to his old ways... 🙂
[snapback]41314[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

yeah , i suppose abandoning all technology and going to taxila on horseback for enlightenment.
😉

Guys, thanx for all that real prompt replies.... I hv jus started using bband recently b4 dat i rocked on Dial-up.... Miss dat sumtimes....Jus not safe to trust MTNL....Il tell ya wat had happened...I had disconnected the net as usual but did not switch off the router... The result that arnd 200 Mb showd up,inspite of d fact that my PC was switched off..My pleas to MTNL pppl fell on deaf ears as they only sed that i was at fault as i was supposed to switch off my CPE...Me real shaken, after dat, i really don wanna take ne more chances...As suggested... I did go in for bridged mode but i think there's sum prob.I still hafta connect using the LAN connection cuz the dialer givs me sum error that the "Destination Address dus not exist"...Think i goofed up in sum settings sumwhere....Think on the router side. Was tinkering wit it the other day... 🙁 Any hlp on dis one???Il take another chance and will try gettin sleep... 😀 if all goes well...

also For lazy bums lik me.... How abt compilin a whole help file as to how to automate it all and also include the batch file.... 😀 Me don lik clicki here and there for it...

Originally posted by rastapopulus@Feb 4 2006, 11:32 PM
also
For lazy bums lik me.... How abt compilin a whole help file as to how to automate it all and also include the batch file....
No batch file is required, you just need to create a scheduled task once. See this post for the basic steps, and post back if you need more details : https://broadband.forum/index.php?showtop...indpost&p=41365

I have got wonderful trick for all the BSNL usersjust download "Download accelerator Plus"(DAP) software and install it.now set the schedule download time to 2:03am, daily in the schedular tabalso untick "hang up modem" and "shutdown computer" u can tick on "quit DAP"go to dial up service tab and provide ur connection user ID and passwordnow DAP should have something to download to connect to internetjust provide a small file say a mp3 or any damn thing and schedule itthats it...it will connect automatically at 2:03amnow its important to disconnect internet before 8amuse software like "magitime" to shut down computer at 7:55amenjoy sleeping.........:yahoo::yahoo:note: this trick wont work if your modem is configured as always connected. i suggest to remove the always connected thing from the modem admin.