Issues due to null packets sent

• Thread starter Thread starter neo2005
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 1,807

neo2005

Hi ppl Discovered still my issue lay unresolved by sify. Need to know what are null packets? The service agent tells me I am having slow downloads and browsing issues due to null packets sent by computer. How do I tell he is telling the truth?He took half an hour to come up with an explanation like that by chkg connection status.He advises to format my computer or get a new LAN card. What do you have to say?After 5 days of futile and exhaustive follow up I am informed about it.Computer has been scanned for viruses, trojans and spyware and nothing was found. Computer has AMD Athlon 2400+ XP processor and 728 MB RAM. System resources are at max.I am a noob at all this and help appreciated.Thanks avinds for explaining what is duplex.Cheers all!

Ping the gateway, the SAM server and websites like yahoo, hotmail and google after you connect to the internet. If the ping replies from gateway and sam are fine, but if ping replies from the websites results in packet losses, the issue has to do with Sify, not your PC.

The same can be tested by pinging 127.0.0.1.

Use the following commands:

ping www.hotmail.com -t
ping www.google.com -t
ping 127.0.0.1 -t
ping gatewayip -t
ping samip -t

josephprashant thanks a ton for your reply and advice.I just tried to ping with the trace command (-t) and I am getting request timed out on all the above. When I do it without the -t I get request timed out and then 100% loss.I can get to the same websites ok. The service agent says you are getting request timed out since the fierwall at my operators end is filtering the data. He says if there was an issue the websites would not load.I tried pinging the gateway and my address and it pings fine. What am I to conclude?Thanks again and Cheers!

If pings to your own ip and the gateway are fine then there's no need to change the LAN card, why spend money unnecessarily. Try the above pings with big loads too to confirm like this -->
Code:
ping  -t -l 1024
In any case first be absolutely sure the issue isn't with your LAN cable or the cable connector.

By the way null packets I found after googling are malformed data packets so you could try reinstalling your LAN card drivers before you try formatting and reinstalling your entire OS like the service-guy told you.

Thanks a ton avinds and inetbum for your info and advice. I am convinced this is an issue with the CTO or sify however they don't want to admit because I am finding things working well now. I am going to reinstall recent LAN card drivers though. The service agents, the CTO or the sify Customer Care are useless ppl who can do nothing but apologise, avoid, lie and harass a customer! They cannot provide any linear or logical troubleshooting workflow. Wonder if they r only trained for apologising and giving a run around?(I hope sify ppl read this and console their shameless selves which they will always be!) This forum and its members are great help. 🙂 Cheers all!

Null Packet : TCP packet that contain a sequence number but no flags

(Useful for stealth scans)