A tech question?

google_singh

Regular
Well, I just wanted to ask ur opinion guys on whether I shud install Windows XP on my system or not???? I am asking this bcoz my PC is pretty old:Here's my PC configurationIntel Celeron 433 MHZ160MB SD RAM8 GB HDD with about 900 MB freeCurrentll I am using Windows ME.Also if i shud install, i shud go for HOME or Professional Edition

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/up...ng/sysreqs.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upg...ng/sysreqs.mspx

I've read experiences of people running Windows XP on such low system configurations after they disable all the uneeded services and turn off all the eye-candy. About how to do all this, just google 😉

yup u can install XP on it,it wuld run fine just get a copy of Xp antispy and disable all visual effects , it shuld wrk fine. but maybe the space can give ya some trouble as over a period of month as software gets insatlled then the XP will go slower.

Yes you can but I would ask you to consider windows 2000 as then you wouldn't have the bother of trimming the bloat that comes with winxp 😉

i had suggest linux. but then linux are heavy in gui. windows 98 is ur best bet. though i had recommend using win2k and suffer some speed issues than stability issues on 98.

Linux isn't heavy on GUI ... GNOME and KDE are ...I have seen 2000/XP with tweaks running on lower configs, so it shouldn't be a problem. Your config is quite good.You can run -Windows 2000Windows XP (with tweaks)Windows 98 SE (and under)Linux with X-Windows and KDE (with tweaks) or a lighter WM like IceWM

*Sorry for double post*If you lack something, its free space, so best bet is to free a lot of space before thinking about another OS.

Yeah linux with xfce or icewm will rock . Or get win2000 but dont forget to upgrade it . Xp will run very fine bcoz of ur high ram .free some space though 😀

Proffessional is better .Proffessional=Home + some features .I never used home edition though 😀 . Also make sure u get sp2 😉

i wouldnt recommend havin Sp2 it stilll has problems with lot of appz better go with Sp1 its stable and has necessary updates.

Naah xp sp2 have many new security updates and a stronger firewall and much better support for hardwares and alot more . Worth a try .Default sp xp1 installation vulnerable to 100' of ie sploits + LS@$$

home should be fine as you dont have a lan. this is definitely discussions related to pirated software 🙁 will delete this thread tomorrow 😛

why do ya htink it is realted to pirated software, either i havnt read the post's or u havnt read them correctly,lol 😛