Applying for WiMAX connection in Bangalore

sarathmenon

ISP
Airtel
Hello,Does anyone know the procedure to take a new BSNL WiMAX connection in Bangalore? I recently purchased a Nokia N810, and I'd like to give 3.75G a test 😉 The device supports mobile WiMAX a.k.a 802.16e. BSNL is most probably providing fixed services ( 802.16d ) though from all the press releases I gather that their equipment is capable of 802.16e. I went to the local BSNL office here to enquire more about it, and true to their goverment roots they had me running around the whole place to gather some information. Does anyone have any contacts through whom I can get more information/signup for a connection?The device runs linux, so I did a commandline scan for an hour to see whether it'll pick up any signal. I did not get any, but I am hoping that's because their NAP isn't discoverable.I'll be stuck with BSNL as the only option because the device does only single band WiMAX and will not work with the operating frequencies of Reliance or Tata.

[offtopic] Nokia N810 WiMax edition? Sweet....Maybe it (BSNL WiMax) is just paper-launched with services not yet ready/enabled or available for subscription...

[offtopic] Nokia N810 WiMax edition? Sweet...

Yup, its a very sweet device. I was debating between it and the ipod touch. This is so much better, and for a linux junkie like me, I am surprised by how much open and flexible it is.

BSNL will launch Wimax in Andra sometime in January. I don't now when it will come to Bangalore, may be mid next year. Even if they launch they will be supporting only fixed wimax initally. You might have to wait for more than a year to get your tablet accesing wimax.

BSNL will launch Wimax in Andra sometime in January. I don't now when it will come to Bangalore, may be mid next year. Even if they launch they will be supporting only fixed wimax initally. You might have to wait for more than a year to get your tablet accesing wimax.

That sucks :-( I was hoping that they'd see reason in providing mobile WiMAX since it doesn't cost them anything more. Well, beggars can't be choosers...