• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 12,761
Status
Not open for further replies.

rarora11

ISP
Reliance
Hi, I live in the US, but I am trying to help my parents get Wifi setup using a Linksys router (don't know exact model) with their Reliance Broadband service in Kolkata.

The issue as previously discussed here, has to do with the web-based authentication employed by Reliance, rather than a more standard PPOE scheme. Because of this, the workaround as I understand it is:

[*]first connect the computer directly to the Reliance modem and login. Record the IP address assigned to the box, along with the gateway and DNS server addresses
[*]Then connect the Linksys router to the box, and the computer to Linksys.
[*]Configure the Linksys to have the fixed IP address recorded in step 1, as well as DNS servers.
[*]Continue to configure the Linksys as needed for wifi, WPA2 security etc
[*]Now reacquire a DHCP address on the computer, which will now be assigned by the router.
[/list]So I understand how this will work, but my question to those who are using this is:
How often do you have to do steps 1-3? If you leave the modem and router always on, doesn't the Reliance network at some point require you to authenticate again?

Hey,I had to migrate from Airtel to Reliance as the new place where I have moved does not have Airtel's connectivity yet.I am having the same problem. Has anyone tried the above solution? Does it work?Is there any way we can configure the broadband using PPPOE instead of browser based authentication?

R Arora & Setu What all you mentioned in the steps is not requred. Just call the Linksys Toll free helpline for India 18004195797 (Reachable from BSNL, AIRTEL mobile phones). They are very supportive and will help you in setting up the WIFI router. I use Reliance WIMAX with Linksys WRT54G wifi router. They helped me in setting it up.

I too use Reliance WIMAX with Linksys WRT54G wifi router. I only got this connection a couple of days ago. I didnt need to contact the customer care as i got it going myself.

[*]first connect the computer directly to the Reliance modem and login. Record the IP address assigned to the box, along with the gateway and DNS server addresses
[*]Then connect the Linksys router to the box, and the computer to Linksys.
[*]Configure the Linksys to have the fixed IP address recorded in step 1, as well as DNS servers.
[*]Continue to configure the Linksys as needed for wifi, WPA2 security etc
[*]Now reacquire a DHCP address on the computer, which will now be assigned by the router.
[/list]

I simply set the Linksys router to take IP dynamically. And then steps 4 and 5.

@nicesachin,

Did the customer care ask you to do something else as well?

One can use link sys router with reliance. the exact process is some what tedious to have the broadband wireless and working continously.However if some one uses if for the first time and subsequent times may be just once in a day , one can get connectivity using a method which 1) the modem has to be flashed 2) the modem has to be come a direct transmitter like a intermittent small wi fi tower, and then one has to also add modifications in writing changes into properties --- tcpip..it then works flawless. Now its second month i have no problems in connectivity.one can use my services if required.

One can use link sys router with reliance. the exact process is some what tedious to have the broadband wireless and working continously.However if some one uses if for the first time and subsequent times may be just once in a day , one can get connectivity using a method which
1) the modem has to be flashed
2) the modem has to be come a direct transmitter like a intermittent small wi fi tower, and then one has to also add modifications in writing changes into properties --- tcpip..
it then works flawless. Now its second month i have no problems in connectivity.
one can use my services if required.

You flashed the modem to login to reliance directly from the wifi router (and not the browser) or avoid the antenna for wimax and make Linksys router behave as antenna?

have no problems in connectivity.
one can use my services if required.

Okay how much areyou charging for your solution? What kind of flashng are we talking about? Is it safe and assured to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.