LibreOffice

The last I heard, nobody really cared about OOXML. Now perhaps the organizations which have tried to switch over to open systems will take a look at it. This means more interoperability between M$ and Linux, which is a good thing. Yay!

Open Office 2.3 released

http://bp2.blogger.com/_usjUYzP9iz4/Ru2Sb_cE3NI/AAAAAAAAANA/v4fZBjrkUCM/s1600-h/logonew.gif

OpenOffice.org is a multiplatform and multilingual office suite. It is a free office suite. A new version OpenOffice 2.3 is officially released today (September 17th, 2007) for Linux fans. OpenOffice 2.3 boasts of some improved features, that include the following:

[*]New chart wizard, with support for 3D Charts
[*]Revamped Toolbars
[*]Export documents as Wiki pages on OpenOffice 2.3 Writer
[*]Enhanced Autosum on OpenOffice 2.3 Calc
[*]Report Builder on OpenOffice 2.3 Base
[/list]It can be downloaded from various official Open Office mirror sites. You can download it right now from this mirror. Then, you select “OpenOffice.org-2.3.0″ as the distribution, your platform and language. The following picture is my case.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_usjUYzP9iz4/Ru2VUfcE3OI/AAAAAAAAANI/TG0i3NtkXW4/s1600-h/openoffice.png

Click on "Go" button to start downloading (136.6 MB).

The new release contains hundreds of bugfixes and enhancements. You can read more notes here to know what is new in this version. Try it while it's hot.

"export as wiki page" ?!?! cool 🙂

The OpenDocument Foundation, a little-known industry group that was originally created to promote the OpenDocument Format (ODF), has closed its doors after controversially dropping support for ODF in favor of an obscure W3C format.....

OpenDocument Foundation closes up shop after slamming OpenDocument Format

So who is the enemy here? Microsoft, Sun, who? And where is the 'open' document format that everybody was harping about?

Good going. Software patents = bad idea. Making proprietary software? A copyright should be enough. Too many trolls running about filling their bags with patents on things they know already exist.

Soon we might have SQL foundation and they will ask Oracle to donate for MySQL development 😀

That name doesnt sound to be Opensource and not easily memorable either. I dont know why they have to use name Maria.