My Linux Desktop

• Thread starter Thread starter DrSRQ
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 193
  • Views Views 84,313
The only issue i have with Linux is that it always heats up on laptops, and always keeps the cpu at 100% usage even though it is not required. Last time i read somewhere the issue was caused with the new kernel version. Although this issue was resolved in Ubuntu 10.10, it started again in subsequent versions.

i am amazed when people need to use Microsoft Office when they can easily live with Google Docs or even LibreOffice. of course, this does not include people who use advance features of word and excel for their office related work.

Yes elementary OS Luna Beta 64bit as primary OS till now no problem.Which 1 r u using btw?

Havent tried it ever, nor heard of it. I m on Mint 11 since around 1.5 years now. Need some courage to upgrade even that! 😀

hey any one using this http://pinguyos.com/?????????????
i hear that its very close to windows .....

Never heard of this. Looks like there is a single guy working on the distro and has had financial issues leading to slowing down of the development earlier. Hope it doesn't turn out to be another Easy Peasy. You can try Linux Mint if you haven't. It is a perfect distro for those looking to jump the ship.

which flavor do you suggest Admin?? one where MS office works perfectly with WINE.. including fonts and stuff

An average user could do with Libre Office. You won't really need MS Office unless Libre is breaking the formatting for you and preserving it is really important. And if that be true, you should stick to Windows.

on Ubuntu ....now with win7hey i want ask u guys that ... Ubuntu need any antivirus of any kind of protection ?

Linux doesnt need any AV suite atleast for now. I m not having 1 myself.

if you want to use office, stick with windows.

I hate to say this but, not just use Office, if you want to spend time 'using' your computer rather than just trying to get things to work, stick to Windows.

I hate to say this but, not just use Office, if you want to spend time 'using' your computer rather than just trying to get things to work, stick to Windows.

much better then windows ......
i can say great

I thought things are working fine for me! Even without "Just trying to get things to work"......

hey any one using this http://pinguyos.com/?????????????
i hear that its very close to windows .....

Just an update on this distro. Tried it. In a bid to make everything work out of the box the dev has created an extremely bloated distro. The default Firefox that is bundled has like a zillion add-ons pre installed for example. Won't recommend this.

Installed OpenSuse today and it is very nice to use. Windows kindah experience and it works fine. The only issue is games lag or freeze in the middle sometime.