Beetel 220BX adsl2 + modem config. in linux

• Thread starter Thread starter singhal
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 9,615

singhal

Hi Friends. I have got airtel modem "beetel 220BX ADSL2 + Modem" which has both eth and usb ports. This works fine for my windows xp, but I want to get internet connectivity in my linux distro ie. ubuntu 5.10. I installed rp-pppoe tool and tried configuring it, first time it got connected but disconnected in less than 2 secs.. and that was the last time it got connected. I tried re-configuring it many many times, but this thing doesnt work at all. It always says connection terminated. Also I get messages MRU cant increase more than 1500, though I tried setting it up very low. /var/log/messages just says connection terminated, and when I try pppoe-start, it always goes for time out.Also I tried it connecting through USB, surprisingly this time it shows me connected (ie. ifconfig shows me proper ip addresses), but still I am unable to browse anywhere.Does nebody has any idea where I am messing up the things. Can anybody post the steps to configure.I am completely clueless whats happening.Please Help!Thanks.

The rp-pppoe GUI seems to have some dependencies - KDE packages.Meaning, you need Kubuntu - its the KDE variant of Ubuntu. Or, download the KDE packages over the net (which you arent able to, currently).But on the whole, ubuntu is just plain built bad.Download the latest knoppix CD, which has PPPoE working properly. It can be run straight off the CD. If you like it, then install it to the hard-disk.You will find knoppix familiar, since both ubuntu/knoppix are built from the same base - Debian Linux.

Originally posted by prathapml@Dec 26 2005, 01:08 AM
The rp-pppoe GUI seems to have some dependencies - KDE packages.
Meaning, you need Kubuntu - its the KDE variant of Ubuntu. Or, download the KDE packages over the net (which you arent able to, currently).

But on the whole, ubuntu is just plain built bad.
Download the latest knoppix CD, which has PPPoE working properly. It can be run straight off the CD. If you like it, then install it to the hard-disk.
You will find knoppix familiar, since both ubuntu/knoppix are built from the same base - Debian Linux.
[snapback]37178[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hi,
Thanks for your prompt reply. There are some dependency that I can not get away with ubuntu, I have to live with it. However, I have complete kde installed on my ubuntu, I am facing the mentioned issues on kde only. Do you have any idea.
Thanx.

Well, after some configuration/reconfiguration I could connect. I am yet to figure out what was wrong earlier though. But even after pppoe-start says connected, and even ifconfig and pppoe-status gives some meaningful output, I am unable to browse the net or do a ping anywhere ? Somewhere I read that I may need to configure DNS for it and put some entries in /etc/resolv.conf file. But I thought DNS should have been resolved at the server side only isnt it? if it is not so, then for airtel delhi what DNS entries I need to put.Appreciate your help.Thanks.

Hi Guys, Finally I got everything up and running. Infact this post is from my running internet on linux 🙂. Well the issue was, pppoe connected everything fine, but default gateway wasnt configured properly. As soon as I added default gateway on ppp0 with the same ip address as the one I got it started working. But I have to do add default gateway everytime I start the net ? Is there a way that it can be automated. Mind you everytime I connect through pppoe, I get different ip address and default gateway has to be same as this ip address.Thanks.

one question. wouldn't it be easier to let your modem just connect for you? It will also handle disconnections and stuff...

can any body tell what to specify in modem configuration. i.e modem type. It showed option like /dev/tty/USB0 USB1 (I am using Kubuntu 5.10 ) .I tried some option but it dosent worked. it said that modem is not configured properly.when I checked windows it said : Location 0 (USB-ADSL Modem)any help 🙂

Hi,I am using Fedora core 6.Can u ppl help me out in configuring net in this.i have just installed the fedora core 6.And waiting for further action to be taken.

Hi Singhal,I am a very new user to linux.. I am experiencing the same problem in ubuntu, using my airtel broadband 220bx beetel modem.. There's no internet connectivity.. You have replied regarding this, telling that you have succeeded.. Please tell me in detail what I should be doing to get my internet working in linux.. i don't know anything about linux and I am in utter need to use it.. Please help! Thanks in advance.

you need to locate the options for network and put the LAN IP manually... ie.. 192.168.1.2 and gateway as 192.168.1.1.. subnet as 255.255.255.0... I believe that you already have your modem setup to use with windows... am I right?If not then after putting the above settings open your web browser type 192.168.1.1 pull up the modem firmware... call up airtel support and ask them to walk you through the rest. :inodding: