• Thread starter Thread starter s_parkhi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 16,374

s_parkhi

Regulars
ISP
BSNL
I have gone through the features of Airtel Digital TV Digital TV from Airtel and find some useful features which are lacking on TS.

1) Universal Remote to control Digicomp and TV from the same remote.

2) Widgets facility (click on Widgets button on Remote shown on Digital TV from Airtel ) wherein you can check stock updates, news etc without exiting the channel you are watching

3) Toll Free Customer Care number. I wonder why can't TS provide toll free CC?

4) MPEG 4 Technology. My question to learned forum members is that MPEG 4 is software or hardware technology? Can TS switch to MPEG 4 by software update? How come TS is able to show ETV Marathi which is in MPEG 4 format as per their website.

World Space Radio

Yes, I missed that. But I beleive that only one Worldspace channel i.e Shruti is available on Digital TV.I think at Rs.2500 and six months of free viewing, it would be worth trying, though I am not too sure about add ons packs. I will have to gather some information. The difference between TS cost for six months at Rs.350 per month and Airtel at Rs.2500 with installation and STB is not much.So if I don't recharge for 6 months and instead get the Digital TV, that experiment would be worth trying.

but problem with Airtel is they dont have any offer for additional TV, one has to pay same rent as the 1st one for multiple TVs

but problem with Airtel is they dont have any offer for additional TV, one has to pay same rent as the 1st one for multiple TVs

This is a feature lacking on Airtel DTH but provided in TS 🙂.

Any channel missing in the top end bouquet of TS which is available in the top end bouquet of Airtel? & Vice Versa?

I think Airtel is a bit costlier than Tata.. That is when u take all channels into consideration..However it becomes cheap when u consider only regional channels.. So all in all a good package rolled out.. Tata should learn something from them..Good Packaging will be a real Diwali gift.. Stop attracting new customers, Get the old one's happy! 😕

Good Packaging will be a real Diwali gift.. Stop attracting new customers, Get the old one's happy! 😕[/quote]Thats correct.. First take care of the existing customers..If they are happy, automatically you would get new customers..

I have gone through the features of Airtel Digital TV Digital TV from Airtel and find some useful features which are lacking on Tata Sky DTH.

1) Universal Remote to control Digicomp and TV from the same remote.

2) Widgets facility (click on Widgets button on Remote shown on Digital TV from Airtel ) wherein you can check stock updates, news etc without exiting the channel you are watching

3) Toll Free Customer Care number. I wonder why can't Tata Sky DTH provide toll free CC?

4) MPEG 4 Technology. My question to learned forum members is that MPEG 4 is software or hardware technology? Can Tata Sky DTH switch to MPEG 4 by software update? How come Tata Sky DTH is able to show ETV Marathi which is in MPEG 4 format as per their website.

to my understanding mpeg-4 is compression format(software) which gives better compression compared to mpeg-2 hence giving advantage to operator(airtel etc)using less bandwidth to send signal...but to consumer it does not have any substantial difference in quality...i think its just a advertisement gimmick or i may be wrong...i request admin to comment..

to my understanding mpeg-4 is compression format(software) which gives better compression compared to mpeg-2 hence giving advantage to operator(airtel etc)using less bandwidth to send signal...but to consumer it does not have any substantial difference in quality...i think its just a advertisement gimmick or i may be wrong...i request admin to comment..

MPEG 4 is a video codec which is buit on top of Mpeg-2 with some added features. It mainly tells you how to encode(compress) a video. It also gives a set of rules regarding decoding (decompression). Once a compressed video is received you can decode it (i.e. play it)
1. Using a software .. which is what vlc and other players do when playing movies encoded in mpeg 4 standard on a computer/mobile phones.
2. Using a hardware .. which is what the latest dvd players support.

Regarding the quality, what provides better compression depends on the type of video. (I personally prefer H264 format which is Mpeg 4 - Part 10). Some people do argue that Mpeg 4 gives better compression (It would be great if anyone can provide the numbers 😛).

So, to my understanding...if Mpeg 4 becomes mandatory, it will require a hardware change.

This is my understanding and also my first post 😛. Please feel free to correct me. All comments are welcome 🙂

E!$3N

Actually, Airtel isn't the only one with all these features. For example, Videocon d2h also offers:-a) A universal remote that allows you to operate the STB as well as your TV setb) They have tickers for sports, news, stock updates etc. that run across the bottom of your screen, no matter which channel you're on.c) They also have a toll free Customer Care number. I know because I've made use of it before.d) It has MPEG-4 technology, which is basically software but your hardware needs to be configured to recognize it. So, TS would have to revamp all their products which, of course, is out of the question with those products already sold. Maybe with the next line...e) And this is what helped me make up my mind about buying d2h...It is the most cost-effective DTH out there & still offers a whole lot of channels. And because of its MPEG-4 technology, the audio and video quality is excellent. Few issues with start-up...takes about 3-4 seconds to start but otherwise, I'm pretty happy.