128kbps line shows up as 512kbps line!

• Thread starter Thread starter ronscores
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 10,121

ronscores

Ok..I'm on the 128kps unlimited connexion Use beetel USB modem and I used to get 128/128 on the green arrow thingie in the taskbar area.. Today when I noticed I saw 512/512!! :blink: 😱 How's that ? Even after I connect I get connected - 512kbps.DSL speed tests on the net however show only a 128kbps connexion 🙁I see the download speeds on an average have increased but not to the level of a 512kbps line 🙁. Still on an avg. I used to get 15KB/s.. now I get close to 20KBPS ! 🙂 (Even on BT)!!Any other users seeing the change?btw, I'm from Chennai

Hmm....That's Strange! My Speeds have dropped from 30kbps to 20 and worse than that it has dropped to 18.5k now! So worried!Airtel guys whts happening? 🙁BTW I'm from Madurai - Tamil Nadu!

u a newbie mate?if u r on 256kbps then the max u'll get is 32KB/scos its /8.. hope u know all that funda 😀 the d/l speeds tend to fluctuateI recommend you to use the following download managers for max. speed d/l1. IDM (Internet Download Manager ) IDM - the best! 😛 2. Leechget3. FlashgetHappy surfin' !

i am also getting 512kbps connection speed from today forenoon. just called the customer care and they too confirmed since yesterday night they have upgraded the speed irrespective of the plan to 512kbps.it is good. hope all of you are getting it too.

thats gr8 news mate!!!
then Whats the tariff?
and DO YOU get the speed stpmds .. ie. 64 KB/s???
and stpmds - can you confirm this by going on to dslreports and do the speed test? coz' mine still shows around abt. only 128kbps!! 🙁

Yea, I noticed. I left azureus run uncapped for some days now for something like this to happen, and it did! I am still downloading some sucky torrents and the max I was getting of them has been around 50KBps. After I finish this, I will start the big torrents 🙂

WHAT ?!?!?! BSNL is dead meat now (if the above is true)

Originally posted by ronscores@Dec 15 2005, 02:27 PM
thats gr8 news mate!!!
then Whats the tariff?
and DO YOU get the speed  stpmds .. ie. 64 KB/s???
and stpmds - can you confirm this by going on to dslreports and do the speed test? coz' mine still shows around abt. only 128kbps!!  🙁
[snapback]35815[/snapback]
[/quote]

they have upgraded only the connection speed to 512kbps. when tested at the speed.touchtelindia.net the bandwidth shown is 251, 249, 254 which means 31.6KB/sec. :angry:

the CC confirms that now they have upgraded the connection speed only and the customers will get enhanced speed to 20% more than their earlier speeds. the bandwidth upgradation will be gradual, may take some 2 to 3 months after they finalise the change in plans. for the time being the plans remain as it is.
in my case i used to get 26 to 28KB/sec, now it is touching around 32KB/sec.
i think in a weeks time it may stabilise to 35- 38 KB/sec.

even when everything goes well i doubt achieving 64KB/sec. It can touch only 54 to 55KB/sec only. 🤔

when these levels are acheived video on demand will become reality 🙄

Originally posted by stpmds
they have upgraded only the connection speed to 512kbps. when tested at the speed.touchtelindia.net the bandwidth shown is 251, 249, 254 which means 31.6KB/sec. mad.gif

the CC confirms that now they have upgraded the connection speed only and the customers will get enhanced speed to 20% more than their earlier speeds. the bandwidth upgradation will be gradual, may take some 2 to 3 months after they finalise the change in plans. for the time being the plans remain as it is.
in my case i used to get 26 to 28KB/sec, now it is touching around 32KB/sec.
i think in a weeks time it may stabilise to 35- 38 KB/sec.

even when everything goes well i doubt achieving 64KB/sec. It can touch only 54 to 55KB/sec only. unsure.gif

when these levels are acheived video on demand will become reality rolleyes.gif
uh... thats bad..
I was high up in the air building castles!! :huh: 🙁
so will they transcend to 512kbps at all??

Originally posted by thoufique@Dec 15 2005, 03:19 PM
we should all be appreciating airtel for taking this step towards bringing true broadband to india B)  ... i dont see any other operator even close to takin such an initiative..
[snapback]35873[/snapback]
[/quote]
yep -- I second that mate!
WE all love Airtel - don't we?
and btw.. good avatar thoufique - Ain't it frm Chicken little?

Originally posted by stpmds@Dec 15 2005, 03:09 PM
they have upgraded only the connection speed to 512kbps. when tested at the speed.touchtelindia.net the bandwidth shown is 251, 249, 254 which means 31.6KB/sec. :angry:

Yup Guys I called up the CC of Airtel and they said the speed upgradation was only for the 995 Combo plan that includes 1.25GB D/U Limit! 🙁

I asked whether they are planning to migrate to other users? The answer the guys @ CC dunno! 🙁 Hope I too can Download at 512kbps!

The guys told me that the initial speed will be brought up by 20% and he also told me that at their end they have 512k so that even during peak download hours the minimum guaranteed speed is maintained! I usually get speeds of 180 to 160kbps during peak hours and now I'm getting 224kbps! Hmph....🙂 Thats all for now it seems! 😀

Hope Airtel will upgrade all its customers to 512kbps ASAP! 😕

Regards,
Amuthan

@ronscores - I'm sorry for being a complete No0Bie here!@stpmds - I was previously using TATA Indicom Broadband 512k and I got speeds of 64kbps constantly! No interruption! The only thing I switched from TATA to Airtel was Pricing! Otherwise TATA is the best in 512k so far!

Originally posted by thoufique@Dec 15 2005, 05:59 PM
where are you from? i called twice and they said they were upgrading on all plans...
[snapback]35912[/snapback]
[/quote]
uhh... he's from Madurai 😀 lol
I see .. We're seeing two sides of the same coin! heh

Originally posted by Amuthan@Dec 15 2005, 12:14 PM
@stpmds - I was previously using TATA Indicom Broadband 512k and I got speeds of 64kbps constantly!
[snapback]35907[/snapback]
[/quote]
You mean you were getting 64kbps on a 512kbps line????????????

at present only two player are having their own gateways and fully functional to handle greater bandwidth. one is BSNL and the other is Barathi Telecom (Airtel), having landline network. Rest of them buy the bandwidth from these. i am told reliance is not interested for some more years to come. Airtel is consistently in this business and has no intention of diversifying into other areas. we can rely on them for best service.