• Thread starter Thread starter eskay
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 2,973

eskay

DEL
ISP
Airtel
Hi guys!I am facing a peculiar problem with my 512K Triband connection over a 5-PC network in my office. We run 5 year old Celeron machines on Win2K with the D-Link router connected to one of them via ethernet. All PCs are connected to a hub.Of late, we are facing a peculiar problem where the connection normally chokes, or even dies out around 3-3.30pm. Also, connecting to Gmail thru an email client also becomes patchy. Changing the POP and SMTP servers from gmail.com to googlemail.com, and vice-versa, usually helps. Similarly, sometimes I cannot FTP from the other 4 PCs but am able to do so from the PC connected to the router. Same problem while browsing also.Can anybody shed some light on this phenomenon and how to get rid of it?

Its slow and patchy in the afternoons. Before they signed up with reliance this period extended from 12 to 5 PM. Now i have noticed speed drops around 3:30 PM...dont think its anything specific to u ..must be a problem at their end

Originally posted by cyberwiz@Dec 10 2005, 11:17 AM
..dont think its anything specific to u ..must be a problem at their end
[snapback]35103[/snapback]
[/quote]
I have put in a lot of complaints to the 1504 number but nothing to show for it. Even then, the Gmail problem is funny.

Customer Service is never part of any Triband package. We should be thankful to our great great MTNL for atleast having 1504.I still remember those days when MTNL was the only telephone operator and we had to wait for 3-4 years to get a new connection and if by chance our phone was dead we had run after everyone in MTNL, beg and plead to get our phone lines back up ON again.So dont expect too much from MTNL, bec MTNL hai toh Sahi Hai... 😀

What do you mean that the connection "chokes" ? Can you access other sites or is the gmail website exclusively problematic? Have you checked your internal network? Is your hub dying? Use a network monitor to see what kind of and how many packets are being sent across. If its too much then you connection _will_ choke.

Let me try and answer:By 'choke' I mean that if I browse on a PC connected to the hub (PC1), I get a 'time out' alert but if I start browsing on the PC connected to the router (PC2) then browsing is possible on PC1.Sometimes, restarting the router solves the problem.As far as Gmail is concerned, the web site works fine. The glitches happen during POP/SMTP access. Both, in Thunderbird as well as Outlook (from two diff. PCs).Could it be the hub? It's 5 years old.

When this problem occurs are all the LED's are working specially the status LED which keeps blinking?Check and post the answer...

Originally posted by imranais@Dec 11 2005, 12:27 AM
When this problem occurs are all the LED's are working specially the status LED which keeps blinking?

Check and post the answer...
[snapback]35198[/snapback]
[/quote]
LEDs are fine. 192.168.1.1 shows status as 'connected'.

Originally posted by max@Dec 10 2005, 09:59 PM
...Use a network monitor to see what kind of and how many packets are being sent across. If its too much then you connection _will_ choke.
[snapback]35168[/snapback]
[/quote]
max, can you recommend a network monitor? freeware or free trial, at least? Thanx in advance.

hmm, this might be a bit low level for you. It's called ethereal. Its FREE Open source software 🙂

Thanx, max. Will d/l and check. In the meantime, just to let all you guys know, I sent a mail on December 10, to the DGM (BB), DGM (VAS) and Exec Director, Delhi about the problem and how 1504 was just giving me complaint nos. and nothing else. A field engineer called and visited us on Monday! Spent quite some time...and came to the conclusion that the line needed to be checked which they are in the process of doing today. Will know in a couple of hours as to what happens.So, an email to the top bosses does work. Second or third time for me.