• Thread starter Thread starter Vince
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 5,227
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince

Regular
I have a 64kbps account, and they've given me a Billion BIPAC 700 ADSL modem.My friend has a 512kbps account (aztec modem or something) but he lives a bit far away from me..Now, i was planning to change to the 512 plan, so i wanted to test the "actual" speed. But when i used his username and password, i got connected, but when i tested it at testmy.net i get the same measly 64kbps! Whats going on? I checked the info about my modem on its website, and apparently it supports upto 8mbps... so why is it giving only 64 kbps even after using his 512 account??? he's not used the bandwidth-on-demand feature either...I'll have to inquire at the CC if they'll change the modem when i upgrade my plan, because i dont want the hassle of an engineer coming to my place....

They will not upgrade the modem when u upgrde the plan. Also I think modem is fine. May be they may have set the speed from their servers only. Not sure. But u can use this site to test ur speed http://speedtest.vsnl.com/speed/. Its their official site to test the speed.

Thank you for the link hitman...but if they were to set the speeds from the server, even then, my friend's 512 speed should come along with his username and password right?(he he, my friend's telling me to shift my house to somewhere near him .. )

Hey, that speed test link opens for some time then this appears:This is to test throughput from NOC to the desktop Conducting bandwidth tests... Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in E:\Apps\Broadband\web\speed\meter.php on line 54

Ur speed really must be slow. I too get this error when I have put something to download and than check the speed using this link 😀 . Also i don't think tata ppl will be tht stupid to not know if the person can share his/her account. So they must have set speeds for a particular node from their server or base station (according to the pack one intially have sorted for) cos tht is why they take 1-2 days to upgrade or degrade the plan. Isn't it ...

Originally posted by hitman@Dec 5 2005, 02:53 AM
Ur speed really must be slow.

Thanks for pointing that out 😉

Hmmm., regarding speed set at the node, i think you might be right..

hmm...how exactly did you make use of his username / password? Who knows? They are binding your connection to your MAC address! Thats why you still get the measly 64Kbps 😉

Originally posted by max@Dec 5 2005, 09:07 AM
hmm...how exactly did you make use of his username / password?
[snapback]34318[/snapback]
[/quote]

I typed it directly into the dial-up dialog..

I've no idea about MAC address, but will get some info on it...

Edit: Hey Guys, when i go to Control Panel-> Network Connections and right click the VSNL dial icon and click on properties.
Under the General Tab- Connect Using- i see my modem name.
When i click on Configure, the Line Type is shown as 64K Digital (the other options being 56K Digital and 56K Voice)
Whats all that about?

Vince, If ur friend uses ur username and password on his line he will still get 512Kbps. This is because bandwidth is set on the line and not according to the username and password.

And that is why u get 64kbps with his username and password.

When u upgrade ur plan ur line will be given bandwidth of that plan, no need to change ur modem or anything else.

For checking speed the best site i know of is: Check Speed.

Originally posted by imranais@Dec 7 2005, 08:13 PM
Vince, If ur friend uses ur username and password on his line he will still get 512Kbps. This is because bandwidth is set on the line and not according to the username and password.

So it depends on the line eh? Well THANK YOU for the info man!
But when you mean "bandwidth is set on the line" you mean at their server here right?

with my exams getting postponed, i can only apply next month 🙁 🙁 🙁

But after that.... Hopefully i'll be on "Broadband" 😛

Originally posted by Vince@Dec 8 2005, 10:22 PM
But when you mean "bandwidth is set on the line" you mean at their server here right?

[snapback]34913[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes its on their server, u dont have any control over that. When u ask for 512kbps connection they will change it on their server and ur line will be able to get 512kbps otherwise no matter whose user name or password u use, u would still get the same speed what u have subscribed to in ur plan.

yeah but one could take up a 512kbps plan which is limited..and use a friend's username and pass which is unlimited..thus getting 512kbps unlimited...right?

Originally posted by muttster`@Dec 8 2005, 05:51 PM
yeah but one could take up a 512kbps plan which is limited..and use a friend's username and pass which is unlimited..thus getting 512kbps unlimited...right?
[snapback]34923[/snapback]
[/quote]

http://www.tataindicombroadband.in/access/...el-che-ban.html

They dont have an unlimited 512kbps plan 😛

Guess i'll make do with 256.. 🙁

BTW i didnt notice it last time, but it seems they've removed the "Time Based" plans from the postpaid list!

Status
Not open for further replies.