New Connection Nightmare

• Thread starter Thread starter RKM
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,322
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKM

I fully concur with all the other members that Tata Indicom has very poor customer service. Which to me is a symptom of poor management.I called up the customer service inquiring about the prepaid service, but later decided to go for postpaid service. I called them back telling them that I have decided for postpaid service, and would like to sign up for one (Infinity 256). I was informed that within 72 hours a representative will contact me after checking the feasibility at my location.Guess what! within two hours a representative called telling that the connection is feasible. Right after I hung up another representative called saying the same. Both of them trying to sell me what I did not ask for, i.e. prepaid plan. I fixed up with one of them to come to my house and have me sign the application and collect the money (installation charge and security deposit). I was promised a connection in four days. They took the money and never called back for about six days. In the meantime I inquired with them and was told that all is well and the engineers are working on the new connection. On the sixth day a woman called saying that the check has been received and within one to six days an engineer will call. I waited for about three days and inquired with the customer service. The guy told me that the reason for the delay is that I have not paid. I tried to tell him that I have given a check about eight to ten days back, and one of the representatives called me and confirmed the fact. But this guy would not agree. He said that the person who I made the payment to must have not forwarded the check to the Company. He even said that the person you gave the check to must be a cable guy and what ever he does is not the Company’s concern. So until the Company receives the money nothing can be done. The point to note is that the person who collected the check was “Authorized Direct Selling Agent” by VSNL for Patpargang, Delhi region. In the mean time the check cleared my account. If that had not happened I would have stopped the payment on the check.Soon after that I received an email that feasibility is not possible at my location. I called the customer service again asking for refund. I was told that the request has been made to the concerned department, and I should receive the check within seven days. Let’s see what happens!!My point is, 1) why collect the money before checking the feasibility. 2) Every time I called them I had to tell them the whole story, give them every detail, from check number to phone number. They had no idea what was going on.In conclusion, go with Tata Indicom only if you are sure that feasibility is possible. They will take the money and keep it with them for many days before returning. I am assuming I will get back my money within the promised time period. Well it remains to be seen.To be continued……….

Its not the company's fault entirely. You should've taken the name / number of the person who collected the cheque. Also, the Payee on the cheque should be TATA Indicom or VSNL and not any franchisee. AND you should've asked around in your area if someone already has their connections. AND you should've paid a bit of attention to your location to see if there are any TATA indicom / VSNL cables / hubs / routers installed in your apartment building or nearby places 😉

Originally posted by max@Dec 4 2005, 08:42 PM
Its not the company's fault entirely. You should've taken the name / number of the person who collected the cheque. Also, the Payee on the cheque should be TATA Indicom or VSNL and not any franchisee. AND you should've asked around in your area if someone already has their connections. AND you should've paid a bit of attention to your location to see if there are any TATA indicom / VSNL cables / hubs / routers installed in your apartment building or nearby places 😉
[snapback]34184[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have the name number address and the designation of the person who took the check. His designation is “Team Leader Authorized Direct Selling Agent for VSNL”. I did not deal with any Franchisee. I even checked whether the switch/hub was located in my building. The switch is located right on top of my building. The check was made payable to “VSNL”. I checked with the manager of my building, he confirmed that the switch has been installed on top of my building. I further corroborated this fact with the authorized selling agent (the same guy who took the money) before making the payment. He informed me that the connection is possible and the switch is live and the wire is coming from an apartment building where the connection is live and even the switch is live on top of my building.

In the interest of making the post as short as possible I omitted the aforementioned items. I called him on few occasions and yesterday as well and he still maintains that the switch is live, however he has no idea why the engineers have not installed the connection.

To me the burden of making true representation lies with the Company/it’s Agents. True, in India the consumer has to protect his own interest and assume the possibility of false representation by the vendors; even by the agents of a reputed Company. I am guilty of being one of the first to apply in my apartment complex and of relying too much on the reputation of the Company. Also, I did not check out this forum before going through this fiasco. I should have checked the forum before making the payment. Had I done that I would have never gone forward with the contract?

Airtel has started laying the cable in my complex; I will probably go with them. This time I intend to read “Airtel Broadband Forum” before making the payment.

RKM, please remember these following facts when you are dealing with any company in India:1. The people they employ are fools of the first order.2. They are clueless idiots.3. They are your servants and they HAVE to do what you tell them to do.The reason? I had bitter experiences with companies myself. The first two points are very easy to justify. The third point is very well justifiable, I have had two experiences where went along with what the "authorized representative" of the company told me and it landed me in trouble. So, if my judgement tells me to do something, I make sure that the company follows it! Otherwise I don't pay them a dime!Anyway, AFAIK Airtel rocks! Go in for it. They are better of the crowd. You shouldn't have any trouble with them. But if you are still keen to go with TATA then you walk right into their office and talk to the manager / chief manager of the office and give him a good piece of your mind!Edit: I would like to add that you did take precautions but you didn't take sufficient ones. Always check out the web for reviews on a particular goods / service that you are going for. NEVER rely on ANY company's ADS or REPUTATION. They are always F A L S E.

Originally posted by max@Dec 5 2005, 03:08 PM
remember these following facts when you are dealing with any company in India:

1. The people they employ are fools of the first order.
2. They are clueless idiots.
[snapback]34336[/snapback]
[/quote]

He he, apply theory of mathematical induction here 😉

1. Most of the people living in India have to get employed somewhere 🙁
2. Your point no 1
3. your point no 2

Result : Most of the people ....... are fools ... idiots

BTW have you dealt with enterprise support of any company?

netfreak, nope. But i have dealt with Dell India's CC. They aren't that bad. I mean as compared to these guys they are any day better. But those fools didn't know what is the monitor's "refresh frequency" ! 😱

Completely Offtopic:

I've had to deal with India Dell CC and for some reason, I'm pretty impressed. Sometime in 2004 my laptop's pcmcia card ejector button broke off while I was putting it into the laptop bag. Since I had a 1 year TotalCare package(insurance for laptop), called dell technical in dec,2004 and 2 days later somebody from wipro(dell had contracted computer repairs to wipro) came and replaced my entire laptop motherboard. When I talked to the wipro guy as to why the entire motherboard is being replaced only when such a small button is broken, he said that there is no part no. for that ejector button or even for the pcmcia slot. The only part no. they have is for the motherboard. I told him it was a shame to replace the entire motherboard. He said, don't worry, the motherboard will be sent to mainland china for refurbishing.
The good: The speakers on my original motherboard were going bad. The speakers on the replacement motherboard work well
I can use my pcmcia slot again.
The bad: My video card drivers for the replacement motherboard didn't work well. Only after installing sp2(just 2 months back) did it improve the screen. For many months, it looked as if some tiny virus was eating parts of the alphabets on the lcd screen.

Oh, and one more thing- when buying the laptop in 2004 I asked them for a 40gb 7200 rpm drive. They said they didn't sell them in India. They do offer them now but only on request.

Originally posted by max@Dec 5 2005, 03:08 PM
Always check out the web for reviews on a particular goods / service that you are going for. NEVER rely on ANY company's ADS or REPUTATION. They are always F A L S E.
[snapback]34336[/snapback]
[/quote]
Right, in an ideal world, but just how many things can we find info of from the web.

Telecom stuff, maybe. This site is decent but there are very few like it. It was certainly right on the money about Airtel. I was under the impression it was all paid hacks writing good stuff bout it. After 3 months i guess its true. Honeymoon period has come & gone and glad to say things are still rocking.

What would one do if they wanted to more about more consumer electronics type things ? fridges, microwaves even. That too experiences of local users. I find the net penetration is not so strong as yet. It will hopefully grow then we might become a more transparent society.

you will be surprised what you will find on the internet. you underestimate it!bugatti, very nice experience indeed. Dell surely lives upto its reputation in india. As of today, i havent experienced their CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.